Conductor proximity

Old 03-04-02, 08:16 AM
Roman
Visiting Guest
Question Conductor proximity

What is the minimum distance between conductors before needing to derate because conductors are bundled together for more than 24 inches?

I'm assuming that when running romex cables through holes bored into joists that I might have an issue if too many romex cables run through the same hole and they intersect multiple joists spanning more than 24 inches. Also, I'm trying to determine how close cables can be when they're stapled onto joists and how many could be stapled using the same staple.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-02, 04:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If your reason is to drill as few holes as possible in the joists I advise 3 cables-per-hole with a LOOSE fit-you'll have abrasions on the 3rd cable pulled into the hole with a tight fit.Use "stack-it"'s for running along the joists instead of staples.This is a plastic bracket you nail into a wood member and the cables "clip" into the bracket-also best used on studs as well.Stack-it's reduce the risk of drilling thru cables from the "blind" or "clear" side of the joist because the cables are fixed away from the side of the joist.

Old 03-04-02, 08:48 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
bundled is considered to be tightly packed for more than 24". Cables running from hole to hole in spanning lumber is not considered to be bundled need any de-ration. Going through a hole in a piece of wood for more than 24' would be considered as bundled needing deration. Using wire ties to keep the wires together so that they can not cool would also be considered as bundled requiring de-ration calculations.

Hope this helps

Wg