Two questions

Old 03-04-02, 11:09 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Two questions

1) What is the distance from the edge of the kitchen sink that an outlet must be for it not to be required to be a GFCI?

2) I want to add a wall sconce which has a hole in the base through which I plan to wire zip cord, terminating in a properly polarized plug to plug into the outlet which is several feet directly beneath the location of the sconce. Accordingly, since the power will not be supplied from directly behind the fixture, I plan to secure the flat side of the mounting strap directly to the wall, and the fixture to the offset side of the mounting strap. Is there anything I should/must do to isolate from the wall surface the wirenut connections behind the fixture? (I've seen circular pieces of what looks like 1/2" thick fiberglass insulation that come with some ceiling fixtures. Nothing like this came with the sconce.)

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-02, 11:34 AM
(1) According to today's codes, all kitchen counter receptacles, no matter how far from the sink, must be GFCI protected. Former codes (perhaps the codes that were in effect when your kitchen was done) only require receptacles within 6 feet of the sink to be protected.

(2) It's not really legal to cord & plug attach a fixture that was designed to be hard-wired. But if you're going to do it anyway, then I don't think you need anything special for insolation.

Old 03-04-02, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the prompt response. On question no. 2, the hole was there when I bought the fixture, and I can't think of any purpose for it other than for wire to pass through in case the fixture is to be mounted in the manner I've decribed. I will, of course, use a grommet in the hole to prevent abrasion.