Adding outlet to sitches

Old 03-04-02, 01:47 PM
Flymo
Visiting Guest
Question Adding outlet to switches

I have a double outlet box in my bathroom with two single switches, one for the fan and one for the light. I am trying to put both these switches onto a double switch for one box so that I will have room to add a recepticle. I have tried this many different ways but always with the same results, the new outlet will only work when either the fan or light is turned off. The only existing wires in the box were a black and a white for the light and a black and a white for the fan. I have tried wiring the switches first then extending over for the outlet, and I have wired the outlet first then extended to the switches. I have tried splicing the wires both on the screw terminals and before the terminlas using a marrett, but it always ends up with the outlet working ony when the switches are off. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Flymo; 03-04-02 at 02:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-02, 02:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I think you have two switch legs here, therefor this cant be done with out some slight rewiring. TO verify this get a voltmeter and read the voltages between the black and white of each set of cables.