Under Structure Wires

Old 03-06-02, 07:06 AM
Mondo
Visiting Guest
Red face Under Structure Wires

Here's a new topic, wiring a subpanel for a shop.

I have collected some bids and done a ton of research on this apparently popular project. However, the bids are all over the place in terms of $$ and detail items. While educating, they raise a few isolated questions.

The project will be a 60 AMP subpanel run about 100' from the main panel, protected by a double pole 60 breaker in the main and a similar cutoff in the subpanel. The run will be a 4-wire cable including a ground, using #4 gauge conductors for volatage drop issues (just in case). At the load end the panel will initially have four circuits (2 20AMP recepticles, 1 15 AMP lights, and 1 20-30 AMP 240v circuit for tablesaw), but there will be plenty of room for more (and maybe an upgrade to more overall AMPs in the future).

The starting at the main, the run drops under the house (it is raised on 2-3 ft pilings) goes around 50 ft. and then drops underground (in 2" PVC about 18" down under a brick patio) for about 40ft, finally popping up at a concrete slab and running exposed (but in conduit) along a fence for the final 10' before entering the shop where the subpanel is inside. For the under-house portion all seem to plan to run the wire without conduit. Is this proper? Seems like it should be protected by conduit also, but maybe I am a ninny.

Another more simple question. All the information I see on 240v circuits show them to be single purpose deals, i.e. breaker to single recepticle for the relevant machine. I will probably need to move my saw around between two spots and would like to avoid extension cords. Can I run one 240v circuit with 2 recepticles? Hope that is not too foolish a question.

Thanks in advance.

Mondo

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-02, 08:39 AM
The ability to run the conduit under the house without conduit is allowed to be exposed if protected and the right type of wire is used. The local authorities always have the last say in this.
You can put two receptacles on a 240v circuit for convenience of not having to use extention cords as long as the circuit is rated for the item in question the NEC has no problems with it