2nd line

Old 03-06-02, 11:02 PM
gonzoguitars
Visiting Guest
2nd line

I have just had a second line installed up to the house. I know that the line is turned on because I talked to the phone company. I tested the line and there is no signal. I tested it by the tester at the box. The person with the phone company said that there needs to be a jumper but she did not know how to do it. Does anyone know what she was talking about.
Thanks
Gonzo

Old 03-07-02, 04:35 AM
joelp
Visiting Guest
How did you test it? Normally, there is a NID (Network Interface Device) on the outside of the house where all the outside phone lines get connected to the inside wiring. YOu can test by bringing a phone out that you know is good and plugging in there. If you get no signal on the line that is supposed to be active, you will need to bring the phone company back. The problem is on their side.

Just a question, who did the connect from the NID to the phone in the house?

Old 03-07-02, 08:47 AM
gonzoguitars
Visiting Guest
phone install

I tested at the interface and there is no line comming through. I wireing on the inside was done by my apprentice and I am sure that that is not the problem. When I plugged in the phone we got no dial tone but when the lady from the phone company called the line it rang and rang. This indicated that the line is good it is not completly conected at the house. The woman talked about a jumper that needed to be wired in but that is were she lost me. Do you know what she was talking about.
Thanks
Gonzo

Old 03-07-02, 09:30 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Was it a single line phone you tested with. Try a two line phone. The single line is always going to use the red and green pairs of the line at the NID. The second line uses the yellow and black pair.

Old 03-07-02, 10:51 AM
joelp
Visiting Guest
If you tested at the network interface, it doesn't matter what line it is, provided you plugged into the correct one.

I would suggest that you need to call the phone co. back. I have installed many phone systems and the line should be active at the NID. Your responsibility is from there on. If you have no dial tone at the NID, its their problem. Time to ask for a supervisor.

Old 03-09-02, 03:25 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm a telephone technician from Iowa.
The "jumper" she is speaking of could be in the xbox where the feeder cable comes into. If this is a 2nd line, you can't have a jumper anywhere else, unless there's some out of limits wiring going on. It doesn't mean anything for her to call you new line and let it ring. That simply means that it's "ringing" somewhere, not necessarily your house. Call the phone company back and have them run a test while you are on your first line. The test results will probably indicate an "open out" and can give you a guesstimate of the distance from the central office or from your house (the station). If it registers a 100% open, dial tone is typically getting either to your house or to the terminal. If you have a new type service network interface box (SNI) and you don't have dial tone there the problem very definitely is on the phone company's side. Demand that a technician come out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: