flourescent kitchen light

Old 03-07-02, 08:40 PM
M W
flourescent kitchen light

light in kit is flourescent....4 dbl fixtures in ceiling. Came home tonight and the whole thing is out. Checked breakers....only the lights are out. Everything else still works so I am "sure" its the problem. That would be the extent of my electrical "Know-how."
What would cause the entire block of 4 dbls to go out?
It is wired from the power source in the ceiling to the first dbl, then to the second and so on.
help?
TIA

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-02, 09:46 PM
Wirenut33
Visiting Guest
First thing i would do is to verify you have power at the junction box that feeds the lights. If so, the ballast in the first fixture may be bad. From the way it sounds, the lights could be wired in series, which would explain all four being out. If you do not have power at the j-box, start flipping breakers off and back on to be completely sure nothing is tripped.

Old 03-08-02, 08:55 AM
Could be as simple as bulbs. When one bulb fails, often none will light, especially if the others have partially failed earlier. If it has been years since you replaced these bulbs, replace all of them as a set.

This might not explain why fixtures served by independent ballasts seem to go out together. My best explanation is that you often don't notice when the early fixtures go out, but you definitely do when the last fixture goes, because then you're in the dark.

Old 03-08-02, 02:23 PM
M W
ballast

if this is the problem, do i replace the first fixture??? can you replace just the ballast? it does seem to run in series, one to the next to the next so on.