installing wall oven (elec)

Old 03-08-02, 06:22 AM
Robert Spence
Visiting Guest
installing wall oven (elec)

I am installing a used wall oven. has four wires protruding from flexible conduit in back. can you give tips on how to wire? I am somewhat knowlegible but desire a little guidance. thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-02, 06:35 AM
jlehman
Visiting Guest
code requires 2 hot conductors(probably black and or red)
1 neutral(white)
1 ground(bare or green)

Old 03-08-02, 06:56 AM
jn
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Most electrical ovens I have insatalled recently have been 220 Volt 30 Amp. You can verify this by checking the specs on the oven or with its paperwork. If it is 30 Amp, you need to have 10/3 with a ground (4 wires total) run from a junction box behind the oven directly to your circuit breaker panel. The panel needs to have a 220 volt (double size breaker) installed 30 amp capacity. The breaker will clip into both phases that come into your house and send this power down two hot conductors, (the black and red conductors). The white will tie to the neutral buss bar and the bare wire will tie to the ground bar. Usually the flex conduit coming from the oven has a snap in clip that snaps into a standard knockout in the junction box behind the oven. Then you wire nut the same color wires together from the oven to the house and finish the job off by installing a blank face plate over the juction box.
Hope this helps...if amps or volts on the oven are different, then post back if you need more info...