Lights are Brighter than Me

Old 03-09-02, 09:13 AM
watchdog
Visiting Guest

Thanks for looking at this message and especially thanks for any input you are kind enough to give.
Asside from the myrid of other problems with an old house and some other electrical issues I will only concentrate on the latest.
When I turn on the electric cloths dryer (220) the florescent lights in the basement get very bright-- at other times and not related to the dryer the lights in the house go dim constantly as though there are momentary brown outs... but back to the dryer. Once the dryer starts the lights brighten and stay brightened until the lights are turned on and then back on at which time they are again dim. If I cycle the dryer on and off they will again brighten. Just past the meter where the two lines from the power company come in are two fuses labeled REN 100 (250Volt). At the point where the two lines from the power company comes in and is conected to one side of the fuse it gets warm enough to feel the heat. At the other point where the fuses go to the household panel there is no heat. Nor are any other panels warm. One leg of the fuse registers 109 volts on a meter and the other leg registers 125 volts. (No appliances are on at this time). The power company came out and said it was in the household wireing. I can't make any sense out of that as it seems the power coming in is unbalanced and it seems logical that the problem is inbound (of course there may be other problems with the household wiring but that again logically would seem to be another issue). I have checked the outside wiring and althought it is old --- very old --- it seems to be ok. I am the only one on the transformer at the utility pole so the electric company says. The lines entering the house go through some trees and you can easily see that the lines are twisted together but the power company says on inspection that that is not the problem. I think the power company is blowing smoke but what do I know?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-02, 09:35 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What do you have as a Main Dis-connect, more specifically,what do you have to operate to dis-connect the interior electrical system from the utility connection?-A fuseable switch,a fuseable "pull-out"? Indoor or out-door meter?

Old 03-09-02, 10:03 AM
watchdog
Visiting Guest

My disconnect is at the panel where the power company enters after the meter and at the point of the fuses. I can pull the lever at the top of the fuses and the household curent is suspended.

Old 03-09-02, 12:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'll guess you have 3 wires from the meter that connect to terminals in the main panel. I suggest you tighten the terminal screws,especially the one that connects to the fuse where you noticed heat.Do this safely!!!----Wrap tape around the shank of the screwdriver and DON"T SLIP when you rotate the screwdriver!! Possibly you can de-energize the wires by un-plugging the utility meter. You can tighten all the connections in the panel with the dis-connect in the OFF position-Good Luck!

Old 03-09-02, 01:59 PM
watchdog
Visiting Guest
Hi,
And thanks. I did that and they were slightly loose .... I had already tightned every other connection I could find. It seemed to help some although it has not completetly gone away.... no heat there as I have not used the dryer since tightening the connections.