short circuit

Old 03-09-02, 06:34 PM
janema
Visiting Guest
short circuit

How do I find a short circuit in my speaker cables connected to my stereo system?

Old 03-09-02, 09:08 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Re: short circuit

Originally posted by janema
How do I find a short circuit in my speaker cables connected to my stereo system?
Why do you say a short circuit what is happening? Give a little detail then maybe someone can help

Old 03-09-02, 09:39 PM
J
Replace the cable.

Old 03-10-02, 07:33 AM
janema
Visiting Guest
short circuit/speaker cable

My stereo receiver stops sending power to the speakers and displays an error message ('Protect'). The troubleshooting page says the remedy is to "find and fix" the short circuit in the speaker cable. I'm happy to do so, but given that I have several speakers (and the system has been fine for years), I don't know how to go about locating the short circuit nor how to fix it (short of just replacing the cable). Thanks!

Old 03-10-02, 09:44 AM
G
That may be the quickest way to fix the problem. Check the connections at both ends and see if it is something along thoughs lines. Shorts can be caused by a vacuum cleaner running over wire once too often or strain where it is fed through the wall or floor. Or just age if it is not obvious then replace would be the smart thing to do.

Old 03-10-02, 09:58 AM
janema
Visiting Guest
speaker able

Thanks so much, gard.

Janema

Old 03-10-02, 12:56 PM
hermie2001
Visiting Guest
Hey, I had the same problem, dude. I had a Sony receiver that said "protect". It happened when I was jamming one day and all of a sudden my speaker "popped" and the receiver said "protect", ever since the speaker would not operate.

I almost went and bought a new speaker until I checked the speaker wire. You know what happened?

There was a crack in the insulation of the speaker wire. The bare wire had come into contact with another wire in the floor and had shorted the thing. Once I separated the two wires and covered the exposed parts with electrical tape,it worked just fine!

Check your wires!

Old 03-10-02, 01:21 PM
janema
Visiting Guest
speaker cable

Thanks, Hermie.

Hey you all, is there an "easy" way to find out where the short is? I have lots of speaker wire?

Thanks again!

Jane

Old 03-10-02, 03:17 PM
P
Well, first unhook the speakers from behind your tuner one by one until you find the bad pair (ie. The stereo stays on) Then go from there

Old 03-10-02, 04:21 PM
janema
Visiting Guest
speaker cable

Thanks, PentaVolvo.

All of you have been great!

Thanks a lot!

Jane

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: