Adding fixture to existing 3 way switch??

Old 03-09-02, 06:53 PM
Falcon2dr
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Adding fixture to existing 3 way switch??

Ok, I've got a 3 way switch that's been working fine for a year. I decided that I wanted to add another fixture to this light, it is the stair light, and at the bottom of the stairs / hall it's still kinda dim.

When I added the new fixture to the 3 way, blk to blk, and wh to wh, I kept the red traveler's together, the switch would only turn on the new fixture, I tried several other things, but gave up and returned the switch back to the way it was and left the new light disconnected.

Both fixtures are between the switches.

Thanks...
Di

Old 03-09-02, 07:09 PM
LewMac
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

Check out this link to see if it can be of help. This site has been a great resource for me--->http://homewiring.tripod.com/3way.html

You didn't say where your hot lead was coming from--one of the switches or to the fixture. The info on the linked site gives you a number of different scenarios to follow. Good luck and be careful!

Old 03-09-02, 09:04 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
There are two travellers, and you may not connect either one of them to the light.

The best way to add a light is to run a 2-wire cable from the existing light to the new light. Without changing how the existing light is connected, add the new cable's two wires to the same wire nuts connecting the existing light.

In general, it's not possible to wire switch to light to light to switch. Wiring diagrams that work for one light do not work for more than one.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: