surge suppressers

Old 03-10-02, 11:23 AM
muskiekz
Visiting Guest
surge suppressers

How does a whole house surge suppresser work.is it connected to a separate a circuit breaker.I think lightning hit close to my house and I have a whole house surge supresser.its is a
INTERMATIC ELECTRA GUARD that's what it says on the little box it has 2 indicator lights and since the hit one is out.one light says the circuit protected in between than the two lights and now one is out.
it is the protector connected to a circuit sent to itself to stop the initial shock because it seems its the first breaker in the circuit panel box and that breaker will not reset itself and it smells like its burning when I tried to reset it.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-02, 12:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Surge supressors are sacrificial devices that attemp to clamp the voltage to a pre determined limit. When the limit and the device is exceeded in energy capacity, the device gives of itself, instead of allowing the energy to go throughout the house. The light is out because it did its job! Replace the device that gave itself instead of possibly allowing you VCR or computer to take the hit.

I'm not familiar with the model you have, but some or built into a circuit breaker and some are boxes next to the circuit breaker fed by a circuit breaker.
Below is how they work.
http://www.howstuffworks.com/surge-protector2.htm

Old 03-10-02, 01:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you wish to know a little about surge supression take a look at this site;
http://www.howstuffworks.com/surge-protector1.htm

As for your problem some surge suppressers are connected at the meter and others in the panel I recommend calling an electrician when getting invoved in these areas if you smell burning it is time to have it checked before a fire starts.