oh man, I really blew it...HELP!

Old 03-10-02, 11:51 AM
hermie2001
Visiting Guest
Unhappy oh man, I really blew it...HELP!

I need some help. I had a houes timer (I think it controlled the lights, not sure as I just bought this house) that was attached to some basement stairs I am remodeling. I decided to remove the timer since I never use it and it was in the way of knocking out the stairs.

Well, I saw that the timer was hard wired to a flat plated junction box up in the ceiling via some conduit. Well, I unscrewed the face plate, and the connecter that connected the conduit, and gave it a good tug to pull it out. (Yeah, I know that was stupid!). Well, when I tugged there was a loud "SNAP" and the fuse blew, the whole basment went dark. When I put in the new fuse, most everything worked except one bank of lights that is controlled by a switch up in the stair landing.

I have tried to connect the wires left "open" from tugging them apart and cannot seem to get the switch to make the one bank of lights come back on that it used to control. I have tried re connecting every combination of wires to make it work.

I know this is vague, but does anyone have any recommendations, or should I just face the music, admit I screwed up and call an electrician to hook up that switch again? I feel so stupid, I should be able to get that switch to work on my own!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-02, 12:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There is a varity of things that might of happened and damaged as a result of the tug. My advice to you is unless you really know what your doing around electricity it might take less time to have an electrician come in and access the damage, You may find the device you removed has to be in the circuit the way it is wired and that device may no longer be any good. This timer may in some way be connected to a relay somewhere and that might of been damaged, the wires themselves might be damaged. You may of pulled a wire off somewhere downstream of the timer, it could be anywhere and it would be hard to point you in the right direction without seening the layout.