Electrical outlet mounting screws stripped

Old 03-10-02, 09:26 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Unhappy Electrical outlet mounting screws stripped

My wife and I recently purchsed an 86 year old house. The wiring has been updated at least twice, by the amount of junk in the attic. We've got active rigid conduit, abandoned knob and tube, and modern romex. I could open a museum.

My question is about a few of the outlet boxes that are solidly mounted in the walls and tied into the rigid conduit. The tabs that the outlet screws screw into are stripped out. One switch bulges out under the pressure of the wires behind it in the box. I do not want to have to try to replace the box. Is there a fix for this condition? An oversize screw that I could purchase? A little clip with threads that could be slipped over the tab, sort of like the little gizmos that are used extensively in automobiles?

Help! I am anxious for some advice.

Old 03-11-02, 04:27 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Your device screws are normally 6/32 screws. You should be able to go to an electrical supply house and ask for a tap sized 8/32 which is a hair bigger. Then tap out the stripped hole to the larger size screw and then use an 8/32 screw to mount the receptacle in the box. YOu may have to use a rubber gasket to fill in between the finished wall and the receptacle plate.

Hope this helps

Old 03-11-02, 09:20 AM
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: port chester n y
Posts: 1,983
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If the switch is crushing the wires you may set a "Wiremold" extension box on the existing box which provides depth for the switch.Makes for a neat finish.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: