inside the breaker box

Old 03-13-02, 09:16 AM
jamey_m
Visiting Guest
Question inside the breaker box

Hello,

I'm about to add a circuit to my full breaker box by putting in a "space saver" double breaker in the place of a full-sized one. I know I should probably get a larger service panel, but that will come in another year or so when I add on to the house and re-wire most of it.

I've already run the properly sized wire to the box. This is my first time to mess around with the breakers themselves, and I wanted to double-check to make sure I know what will be hot inside the box once the main switch is off.

Below is a picture of my box with the main switch at the top. It appears that the only thing that will be hot with the main switch off are the screws clamping in the main wires, right? If I tape a piece of cardboard or something hard and non-conductive over that whole corner of the box, then I can work safely with the rest of the wires and bars, correct? I plan on checking around with a multimeter for a while to double-check, but I just wanted a little feedback before I attempted it.

Thanks for any help,

Jamey

Last edited by jamey_m; 03-13-02 at 11:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-02, 10:30 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Once you turn off the main breaker and cover the wires feeding it the rest should be safe. But I said "should be" Always use as much caution as possible in a panel. After turning off the main check everything for voltage just to be on the safe side. It is possible to have a defective breaker that doesn't turn off. So always assume your dealling with some live power. If you end up with a votage reading even with the mains off I'd suggest you call an electrican right away.

Old 03-13-02, 11:34 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can you install 2 circuit-breakers on the Right side,top, opposite the Main Breaker? Check the panel cover for "twist-off" blanks in this location. Good Luck!!

Old 03-13-02, 11:48 AM
jamey_m
Visiting Guest
I can't install anything opposite the main breaker due to a sticker on the panel cover that says "Do NOT remove these blanks." I don't know why those blanks can't be used, but I'm not about to find out why the hard way.

Thanks for the responses. Please let me know if there's anything else I should watch out for or if there's anything else I need to consider.

Jamey