Temporary Service Question

Old 03-14-02, 10:46 AM
KnightOwl
Visiting Guest
Question Temporary Service Question

The church that I am with is about to move to a new (still temporary) facility. We are going to be meeting in a gym that does not have a single outlet inside. Other groups that have met in here have run multiple heavy gauge extention cords to different outlets that are outside of the room. There is a laundry room located right next to the room. I am thinking that mabye running one 60-70 ft. run from a 220v outlet in the laundry room to a temporary panel in the gym and break out 110 circuits from there. I am just thinking from the standpoint of multiple trip hazards down to one controllable. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

--Ken

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-02, 11:07 AM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
You really need to make contact with your electrical inspector. You have issues that should be addressed before you get into to much trouble.

You may have changed the occupancy use of this structure. YOu may have went from not only a class two structure to a class one structure but also entered into a structure that is considered as a place of assembly.

You really need to talk to your inspector to find what he or she is going to require concerning this temprorary use building.

There is no such thing as a temporary service, however the inspector may allow a subpanel to be installed on a temporary basis, it is his or her call.

Check before you leap

Wg

Old 03-14-02, 11:15 AM
KnightOwl
Visiting Guest
I should have mentioned that the facility is a combination Elementary School and YMCA. I would guess that it would be considered a place of assembly. Also since this facility is in use the rest of the week, we would be taking the entire setup down every week. We would only be using it for about 4-5 one day a week. That is why I considered it "temporary." I have seen concerts and lighting rigs that pull in a temporary connection for the short time that the system is set up.

--Ken

Old 03-14-02, 02:00 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
I suspect that you probably would be safer if you went to the heavy duty extension cords plugged into receptacles on different circuits.

However considering that conditions that you are discribing you could install a subpanel but only if that power source in the laundry room is a 4 wire branch circuit and only if that amp rating of that branch circuit is large enough to serve your needs.

Check what wires are in that existing branch circuit, what breaker size is protects that existing branch circuit, and what the receptacle looks like that you are wanting to tap to.

Remember this should only be done with the blessing of your local electrical inspector.

Wg