Removing an electrical outlet from a circuit

Old 03-16-02, 04:47 PM
Danny7979
Visiting Guest
Removing an electrical outlet from a circuit

I have an electrical outlet in the middle of a circuit that needs to be removed. It is in an unsafe location (immediately above a cooktop) and I want to tile the wall where it is located after I have removed it. Do I just remove the outlet and connect the white to white, black to black and ground to ground or is it more complicated? If this is correct, how do I make sure the connections are safe and secure. After removing the outlet I plan to cover the hole before tiling. Suggestions??? Thanks!!!!

Old 03-16-02, 04:55 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yes, it's as simple as connecting wires by color with appropriately sized wire nuts. How to make secure and safe connections is covered by all books on home wiring. It's a matter of stripping the right amount of insulation, being careful not to nick the copper, applying the right size wire nut, and twisting it on very tightly without leaving any bare wire exposed. If this wiring is aluminum rather than copper, post back as considerably more care must be used.

However, you cannot cover the hole. The best you are allowed to do is cover the box with a blank cover plate. The splices must be remain permanently accessible.

If the cover plate is too distasteful to you, you have to remove the wiring to the nearest box to both the left and right of this receptacle you are removing. You can then replace the run with a new unspliced cable.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: