Code Question

Old 03-20-02, 08:46 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Code Question

We had much of our house remodled, and in the process we had baseboard heat installed in a new sun room (4 seasons room). An electrician did most of the electrical due to me not having enough time. He installed boxes and ran the 220 for the heaters. When the HVAC guy came to install the baeboard heaters, he just lined them up with the box and drilled a hole in the back of the heater and ran the wire through. No gromet was put in. Is this installation up to code, or do I need to have them come back? They told the electrician where they wanted the boxes and that is where they were put.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-02, 11:40 AM
hotarc
Visiting Guest
What type of wiring was used? Was it non-metallic cable, armored cable, individual wires? Most of the electric baseboard heat installations I have seen used non-metallic cable fed through a cable clamp inserted into a knock out on the heater. I don't believe the code permits just passing it through a metal opening without a clamp or grommet of some type.

Old 03-20-02, 12:46 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
The area where the heater wires are connected to the hot conductors of the circuit is considered as a box. Any conductor entering a box must be secured to that box. Single conductors are not allowed to pass from the first box through a hole in the heater into the junction area without a sheath or conduit of some sort protecting that entry through the sharp metal lined hole in the heater. There should have been a connector installed where the wires enter that heater to secure the heater and protection of the single conductors is required.

Hope this helps

Wg

Old 03-20-02, 01:13 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If there were gromets would it be ok? It gets power from an electrical box which is fed by conduit and sigle wires.

Old 03-20-02, 02:44 PM
resqcapt19
Visiting Guest
The box cannot be covered by the heater, it must remain accessible. The only way to make this compliant with the code would be to cut out the back of the heater, but that may be a listing violation. I have worked on a few baseboard heaters that had a large knockout on the back for this type of installation, but very few heaters are made that way. Most often on a conduit system a flexible conduit would be installed from a box to the heater. The conduit connector would be terminated at the heater. The box would normally have a receptacle in it along with the heater power circuit.
Don(resqcapt19)