bobtroy
Visiting Guest
Wiring Fluorescent Light, Switch, and Receptacles

Hi I need help with wiring details for the following:
1. Souce to Fluorescent light fixture
2. Onward to Wall switch
3. Onward to Receptacle
4. Onward to another Plug

I need details, im new to this, I know enough to turn off power, black is hot, white is neutral, bare is ground...tia, [email protected]

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-02, 10:21 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ok first run 12/2 to from your power source to the flourcent. At powers ource white to white, black to black. From flourecent to switch run 12/3. At light connect all 3 whites together. Connect the black of the power cable to the black of the 12/3 running to the switch. Connect red from 12/3 to black on light. Run 12/2 from light switch to receptacles. At light switch conenct red from 12/3 to one screw on switch and connect the black to the black of the cable to the receptacles and the other screw on the lightswitch with a pigtail. Connect the white's from both cables together. At the first outlet connect the blacks together and use a pigtail to connect to outlet. Do the same with the whites. At the other outlet just but black on hot side white on neutural side. Black goes to side with smaller slot. Dont forget to ground everything. Hope I was clear enough for you. Post back if you have more questions

Old 03-20-02, 11:16 AM
bobtroy
Visiting Guest
Question

Very clear...can I use 12-2 for the entire project. I have a whole roll of it. I know that if a white wire becomes hot in a connection, the end must be painted black from what I read. Appreciate the help. Also, what is the purpose of having a red wire, are there 4 wires...white, red, black and ground...thanks for helping a novice

Old 03-20-02, 12:22 PM
P
No u must make that one run 12-3 or use 2 12-2, but that will make it much more complicated for a novice. Since you are bringing power to the light first, u need the black to bring hot power to the switch and power to the outlets. The red brings the switched power back to the light, and the white provides a neutural for the outlets. No recoding of white wires is necessary, because all whites are being used as neuturals. U can use your 12/2 for all of your project if you:
1. power the receptacles first then go to either the light or switch

2. or power the light first and then run 1 cable to the outlets and one cable to the switch

3. or bring power to the switch first and then run one cable to outlets and one to lights.

Let me know what you want to do and I can go into more depth on the options.

A 12-3 has a white, black, red, and ground

Old 03-20-02, 12:43 PM
bobtroy
Visiting Guest
Lets try this option with only using 12 2 wire...bring power to the switch first and then run one cable to outlets and one to lights. I would have liked to run the power to light , switch , then receptacle, but I guess cant be done with 12-2 wire? Thanks for the great help, Bob

Old 03-20-02, 12:47 PM
P
Ok here we go.

At the switch you will have 3 12-2 cables. Connect all of the whites together at the switch location. Take the black from the source and the black to the outlets and pigtail them together and hook it to one screw on the switch. Take the black to the lamp and tie is to the other screw on the swith. At the light black to black and white to white. Then at the outlets follow the same instructions as before, black the short blade, white to wide blade. Post back with results

Old 03-20-02, 04:51 PM
bobtroy
Visiting Guest
Is there anyway to use just 12-2 cabling and wire as follows...source>light>swithch>plug...I know im pushing it, but its the easiest layout I have with the least cabling and supplies and labor, thanks alot, Bob

Old 03-20-02, 05:08 PM
jlbos83
Visiting Guest
Think this way. At each receptacle and light you need a neutral. At each receptacle you need a hot. The switch is going to have a hot, and a switched hot. Since the light needs a neutral, the neutral will also be passing through the box the switch is in.

I guess you could run two 12/2s from the switch to the light, but I don't know how you properly deal with the extra white wire. One of the experts will be able to answer that I am sure.

You need to draw yourself a picture, I think then you can see what is going on.

Old 03-20-02, 05:10 PM
P
sorry not possiable, unless you want to run multiple cables, if so let me know. U would run 2 cables between the light and switch. They sell 12-3 by the foot at home depot for .35 cents

Old 03-20-02, 06:06 PM
bobtroy
Visiting Guest
Smile

Yes, that is exactly what I want...I have a 50 foot roll of 12-2 cable...thanks for the great help, bob

Old 03-20-02, 07:06 PM
P
Ok, do u want to run just one cable to the switch from the light and one cable from the light to the outlets or would you like to run 2 between light and switch and then from switch to outlet. First one would be easier, its up to you.

Old 03-21-02, 04:06 AM
bobtroy
Visiting Guest
Talking

whichever is easier...just so that i only use 12-2...thanks, bob

Old 03-21-02, 06:40 AM
J
Please reconsider. In order to save a few bucks, you are going to do a wiring job that nobody will be able to later figure out, because it will be done in such an unusual way. You'll find another use for the rest of the 12/2 some day.

Old 03-21-02, 07:00 AM
P
It will be some what of an awkward setup.

At the light take the black of all 3 cables and tie them together. At the light switch tape the white wire black to reidentify it and but black under one screw and white under the other. mark the white from the switch black at the light. Connect this white now remarked black to the black from the light. Now take the remaining 2 whites (one from source and one to outlets) and tie them together with the fixture's white. Then connect the outlets as u usually would, black to small slot, white to wide slot.

Old 03-21-02, 07:40 AM
bobtroy
Visiting Guest
I understand parts of this, but...what 3 blacks at the light. And you say to connect the white from swith, now marked black to black at the light...but isnt this already connected as 3 blacks at the light? So now from what I gather...connect 3 blacks and the white now black all together...im confused. One more time, could you explain in explicit details what the exact connection...what wire from what wire...how many wires at each fixture and switch, im new to this. This will be my last email...thanks for all the great [email protected]

Old 03-21-02, 07:59 AM
P
Ok at the light you will have 3 cables A, B, C

A is the source
B goes to swich
C goes to outlet

A black goes with B black and C black

A white goes with B white and white from FIXTURE

At the switch you have cable B tape the white wire black and connect black to one screw and white to other screw

Now at the FIXTURE you should have B white left, tape this black and hook it to black of the fixture.

At the outlets black to small slot, white to wide slot.

Dont forget to ground

Reply with your results

Old 03-21-02, 09:39 AM
bobtroy
Visiting Guest
I bought 12-3 wire...

I decided in the long run, for the sake of $6, to buy 25 ft. of 12-3 wire. I based this on...I want to add an extra light in this room. Soure>light>light>swithch>receptacle. My wife wants two lights now. Make up my mine...lol. Thanks for the help. I need a detailed final description of the entire job, thanks, [email protected]

Old 03-21-02, 10:00 AM
P
Boy I think I know your setup now with out even thinking. Smart choice with the 12-3 here goes.

1st light is L1
2nd light is L2
Switch is S1
Outlet one is R1
Outlet two is R2

Run 12/2 to L1 from source
Run 12/3 between L1, L2, and S1
Run 12/2 between S1, R1, and R2

At L1 connect connect black from source to black from cable going to L2. Connect both whites together and tie them into white from fixture. Connect black from fixture to red which goes to L2.

At L2 connect both reds together and tie them into the black of the lamp. Tie all whites together and connect them to white of the lamp. Take the black from L1 and the black going to S1 and connect them together.

At S1 Take the red and put it under one screw of the switch. Take the black from L2 and and the black going to R1 and tie them together and pigtail them to the other screw on the switch. Connect the 2 remaining white to eachother.

I figure you know how to wire R1 and R2, black to small slot, whit to wide slot.

Don't forget to ground everything

Post back with results.

Old 03-21-02, 11:03 AM
bobtroy
Visiting Guest
Thank, I drew a colored map to assist me...Where do the 6 wires go that are in receptacle one?, thanks,bob

Old 03-21-02, 11:24 AM
P
You only need to run 12/2 from switch to receptacle and from receptacle to receptacle

Connect blacks together and pigtail to narrow side

Connect whites together and pigtail to side with wide slot

At the other outlet same thing just minus the pigtails, cause there is only one wire.

Old 03-21-02, 11:30 AM
bobtroy
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Thank you

Thanks, ill let you know how I make out after next weekend, Bob

Old 03-21-02, 03:27 PM
bobtroy
Visiting Guest
Can I use a single pole light switch?

Old 03-21-02, 05:36 PM
P
You need either 2 single pole light switches or a double switch with both being single pole

Old 03-21-02, 06:22 PM
bobtroy
Visiting Guest
Smile

Might as well keep going...LoL....would it be easier to wire from the source to the switch, then branch off from there to the two lights on one run and to the receptacles on the other run. If so, explain how its done...i kind of want to avoid double switches or two switches, have no idea how i would wire that...this simple job has turned into so many options. Another option...if I cut down to one light, can I use a single pole switch. What would be easiest for me to do...boy, Im full of questions, thanks for the effort, Bob

Old 03-21-02, 06:30 PM
P
Sorry I read you wrong a single pole switch if fine, forget about my whole last post. I confused differnet postings. You could either do it as just posted, if you want to do it differently let me know.

Old 03-21-02, 06:35 PM
bobtroy
Visiting Guest
Does it matter where i screw the red wire and black wire on the single pole switch...red on top right screw or bottom right screw. If I read you right, those are the only 2 wires to connect to the switch...i wont bother you with any other scenarios...thanks, Bob

Old 03-22-02, 12:05 PM
P
Either way doesnt matter.