Ground trips breaker

Old 03-26-02, 05:29 AM
pmgagnon
Visiting Guest
Question Ground trips breaker

OK, I've gone trough $75 worth of dimmers and have finally narrowed down the problem. My six new can fixtures work fine as a branch circuit off an existing 15 amp when only wiring the white and black. As soon as I wire the ground, it trips. The configuration goes like this, from an existing 15 amp breaker to the switch or dimmer then to the six fixtures. I've checked every connection (4x) and all the wires connect and look fine. Right now the wire from the j box to the switch is a 14/2. From the switch to the fixtures is 12/2. This is because I had it branch off a 20 amp circuit and since changed it to the 15 amp circuit while troubleshooting. Could easily change it back.

I'm assuming I have a ground fault somewhere. What is the best way to isolate it besides redoing the wiring one fixture at a time?

Thanks so much. Peter

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-02, 08:48 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you go to the four outlet in the circuit and disconnect it and the feed to the rest of the downstream fixtures then try it if it still trips then the problem is in the first section of the circuit if it doesn't trip then its in the second section.
Go to the first opposiste end fixture in the section you think the trouble is in and disconnect then try the circuit again. That is most likely the easiest way to start, It may be a ground in one of the fixtures is resting on a hot wire which will cause this type of problem. If the problem is outside of the fixtures it may be at the switch being the box is smaller at this point it is easier to cross a wire.

I hope this is a little help