wiring a Jenn Air cooktop

Old 03-26-02, 06:25 AM
sman1950
Visiting Guest
wiring a Jenn Air cooktop

My wife purchased a new downdraft grill (to replace the 25 year old one). With just a few countertop modifications I installed the
new unit. Feeling pretty good about the install, I then went underneath to connect the wires. HELP !! There are 3 wires coming to the unit, 1 black, 1 white and 1 bare copper. The grill
has 4 wires. 1 black, 1 red, 1 white ( pigtailed) and 1 short heavier green wire. Foolishly my diagram that I made when I removed the old grill is misplaced/lost/eaten by my dog or by one of my kids ! My wife tells me to call an electrican... I just need to find out how to connect the wires and I'll be in her good graces
again ( we all know how important that is).
Thanks in advance for your help,

Steve ( " Where I wire... there's fire " )

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-02, 06:44 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What about the instructions that came with the new cooktop? Those should tell you what goes where. If you don't have them, try JennAir's web site (most appliance makers have installation instructions on line).

Is this a gas or an electric cooktop?

Old 03-26-02, 07:15 AM
sman1950
Visiting Guest
Jenn Air

I forgot to mention that it's electric and there weren't ANY directions. Like I said, I was replacing an old unit so most of it was
fairly easy but electric stuff scares me unless I'm SURE I know where the wires go ! Thanks

Old 03-26-02, 08:30 AM
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
sman1950,Their should be a specification sticker on the side or bottom of the cooktop that should list the kilowatts and voltage. Post back with this imformation so either myself or one the other guys can do the load calculation to determine size of feeder and circuit breaker.
If your looking for a replacement instruction manual go to www.jennair.com
There you can download the pdf. file on your cooktop. You'll need to write down the model number off that specs sticker to download the right file.

Fred

Old 03-26-02, 10:05 AM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
The reason that you are not getting your answers as you wanted is that those replying are aware that JennAire manufactures different style cook tops and slide ins. Each different style can demand more or less amps when sizing the branch circuit. To make you connections and get your range working we could tell you how to make the connection but you may be burning down your home if you don't have the right wire size and breaker size that is required for this style JennAire cooktop.

Slide the unit out and look for a metal tag that provides the model number and serial number on you cook top. Then look on that metal tag. It should tell you a number of watts or total number of amps that this cook top is rated for. Tell us what size breaker you have the you shut off to pull out your old range and what size wire that is going to your old range. Tell us the facts we asked for then we can safely tell you how to make your connections ensuring your safety.

Good Luck

Wg