extension boxes

Old 03-26-02, 05:36 PM
P
peachykeene
Visiting Guest
Question extension boxes

I have just tiled the backsplash to my kitchen, and now the electrical outlets seem to be recessed into the wall. The outlets and switches do not extend far enough past the thickness of the tile to reach the cover plate. I purchased add-a-depth rings, but I don't think I am installing them correctly. It seems like the outlet or switch is now floating in the box and there does not seem to be any stability when I put a plug in. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-02, 08:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The space behind the receptacle yolk (metal support) would be taken up by the add-a-depth rings. Is there any remaining space behind the yolk mounting screw and the box, not taken up by this ring you describe?

Old 05-27-02, 02:52 PM
V
vidgamer
Visiting Guest
Re: extension boxes

Originally posted by peachykeene
I have just tiled the backsplash to my kitchen, and now the electrical outlets seem to be recessed into the wall. The outlets and switches do not extend far enough past the thickness of the tile to reach the cover plate.
This is very similar to the situation we have. We added some wainscotting, which looks nice, but that left the outlets recessed.

Where can I find the add-a-depth rings? The usual large hardware stores? How do they attach to the original box? Do they come in different depths? (We need about 1/2 inch.)

The house we're working in has 30 year old wiring, so the junction boxes may be metal. Will that affect the installation of the rings?

It sounds simple enough, but I've never heard of these, until reading this message. Thanks for the info, as I really was hoping to find a simple solution! (I REALLY didn't want to have to move the original junction box...)

Old 05-27-02, 03:10 PM
W
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Sounds like your hole in the wall is larger than the wings that are supposed to be pulled against that wall surface. You will only have one choice that I know of that you can do to correct this problem. Buy a packet of flat washers as small diameter as you can but matching the hole required to allow a 6/32 to pass through your washers. Pile the washers on the screws equal to the distance required to hold the extension out even with the wall surface and screw you receptacle back into place the washers should hold the extension box solid in place and the receptacle even with the wall surface.

Good Luck

Wg

Old 05-27-02, 03:15 PM
W
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
vidgamer, you should be able to find your device box extensions at a larger electrical supply house. Not sure the hardware stores will stock the device box extensions.

A device box extension for receptacle and switch boxes are so designed to slide into the original box just fitting inside the box by demensions. Then the wings that hang out where you pass your 6/32 mounting screws of your receptacle through to screw into the original box. Steel or plastic should make no difference using this style box extension.

This is not a plaster ring for larger boxes but a device box exetension designed for use with switches and receptacles.

Hope this helps

Wg

Old 05-27-02, 06:23 PM
F
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
Wg, RACO makes an adjustable switch box extension that extends the box between 1/4" to 7/8".

Home Depot carries it. SKU#101362 Cost $ 1.66 each;

Happy Memorial Day!

Fred

Old 05-27-02, 06:55 PM
W
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Thanks FreddieG, I was not sure that home depot would stock extension boxes.

I think the problem with the post that has loose extensions in his box is because there is nothing to hold the box against because his hole is larger than the exitensions ears that lays against the surface of the wall covering.

Wg

Old 05-27-02, 07:58 PM
F
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
Your so welcome Wg. Hope you had a great Memorial Day.

Fred

Old 05-28-02, 07:52 PM
V
vidgamer
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by FREDDYG_001
Wg, RACO makes an adjustable switch box extension that extends the box between 1/4" to 7/8".

Home Depot carries it. SKU#101362 Cost $ 1.66 each;
Hey, you guys are great! Hopefully, we'll be able to fix our outlets now! Thanks!

Gary