breaker panel ground rod

Old 03-27-02, 04:19 PM
meat
Visiting Guest
breaker panel ground rod

I am upgrading my 60 amp panel to 200 amps, the local code requires two grounds. I plan on using the existing cold water ground and driving an 8ft. ground rod. My questions are: how far from the panel can the rod be ? can I run the ground line through a wood stud wall, if so does it need to be shielded? does the top of the rod need to remain exposed?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-02, 05:18 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
YOu must use the water pipe as a grounding source but only if this water pipe is metal and in direct contact with the earth. If you have plastic water pipe coming into the structure then you must install a ground wire to the water pipes to bond that water pipe as one entity with the equipment grounding of the panel but you CAN NOT use that meatl water pipe as a grounding source unless it is in direct contact with the earth. If you have a metal water pipe in direct contact with the earth then you not only must use this water pipe as your primary grounding electrode but you must also connect your grounding electrode conductor going to the main service rated panel within 5' of where that metal water pipe that is in direct contact with the earth enters the structure.

You may install your ground rod as far away from the entry of that metal water line in direct contact with earth as you like. YOu join all grounding electrodes together with a grounding electrode conductor size by 250.66. Most commonly whether you have a metal water pipe in direct contact with the earth or not you may install your ground rod or rods below the meter base and connect the grounding electrode conductor from that or those ground rods to either the grounding lug in the meter base or the panel as per the NEC.

Yes you may install a grounding electrode conductor whether stranded or solid or whether insulated or bare inside a stud space and without conduit or other form of protection. You are not required to protect a grounding electrode conductor except if it is exposed to severe physical damage.

Hope this helps

Wg