Older Electrical problem

Old 03-28-02, 07:17 PM
mrbello
Visiting Guest
Older Electrical problem

I purchased a older home a couple of months ago.. The problem I'm having is I have a shed that has a switch that controls a light fixture .. which supposely gets it's power from my garage. I followed the circuit back to a jucntion box. I opened it and found that their is three wires coming into the box ( 3 sets of black & white wires) One is coming from a switch across the room ( That's where it gets the power, the other goes to a receptacle right under the junction box. And another wire going to a switch right above the junction box. This is the wire that goes out to the shed. But in the junction box I have 2 black wires tied together, two white wires tied together..and then I have the wire that goes to the switch above ( a wire nut on the white, by itself, and a wire nut on the black , by itself..) So I'm thinking that if I tie all blacks together and whites that would give the power out to the shed....
I tried to connect the two wires from the switch ( black & white) to the other black & white wires in the junction box. Turned on the power. Nothing happen.. the circuit breaker never tripped and the light in the shed doesn't work... I tried to flipped the switch on and off ..nothing>> I even checked for power in the shed ..no power... but there is power going to the junction box because the receptacle right under it coming from the junction box works.

With the power on if I touch the black wires with the red probe ( tester) and the black to the box that should tell me if I have power there?? I tried that no power> Am i testing this right???

Could it be the wire from the switch to the junction box that is bad??

Can I run another wire to another junction box instead of the switch ( take the switch right out of the circuit)

Have no idea what the problem is???

Old 04-01-02, 03:50 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
I would suspect a loose connection in a junction box found in the crawl or at the entry of the garage. If you find no junction box either in your crawl of at the entrance of your garage where that cable enters then suspect a broken wire located under ground if an underground cable or at a connection if overhead at the weatherhead. Let us know what you find

Good Luck

Wg

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: