old wiring w/no juice in em


Old 03-30-02, 09:20 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Unhappy old wiring w/no juice in em

recently moved into older home, having replaced all outlets to modern 3-prong updated ones we are now stumped on what to do with a set of old push button outlets in living room.
i have checked for voltage to this outlet and there is none.
i am wanting to replace this outlet with just a blank cover plate, but am wondering what to do with the exposed wires within.
should i be concerned even though there is apparently no electricity running through them or not?
what do i do?
can i use electrical tape on ends?
do i use plastic screw tops to cover ends?
do i leave wires exposed within?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-02, 02:21 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
stanky1918, If the original receptacles were parallel blade receptacles those are the type that needs to be installed. If you need to use those three bladed receptacles your going to have to run new circuit(s) to each room that needs those receptacle(s). It's permissible here in michigan to use wire nuts, a little tape and a blank cover.
Old 03-31-02, 05:44 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
From 1999 NEC not a direct quote.
Do you think your average handyman knows this: Note: In accordance with NEC Article 210-7(d), a GFCI receptacle may be used to replace an existing non-grounding 2-wire receptacle. In addition, existing non-grounding 2-wire receptacles may be replaced with grounding-type receptacles when they are supplied through a GFCI receptacle. (In this case, however, a grounding conductor should not be connected between the GFCI receptacle and those receptacles that it supplies)

Old 03-31-02, 07:33 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
stanky1918, I was speaking on the grounding conductor(egc) that would be required for the appliances that have three bladed plugs. Namely your computer, fax machine, printer etc. True, Article 210-7(d)sections(b)(c) 1999 code does allow you to do that. Were using the michigan(international) residential code. Section E3902.2 Grounding type. Receptalces installed on 15- and 20-ampere- rated branch circuits shall be of the grounding type. The inspectors here look at it this way,(The ones i come in contact with during inspections). Three wires ( three wiring grounding receptacle), two wires ( two wire non grounding receptacle), GFCI (must have a ground(egc).

Happy Easter!
Old 03-31-02, 07:44 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Fred show your inspector 406.3(D) 2002 NEC.
Old 03-31-02, 07:49 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
A carefull rereading of the original post (correct me if I'm wrong) leads me to believe the 3 prong recepticles have been connected to new wiring -( presumably w/grnd) and in new positions on the wall (??) leaving the old recepticles disconnected and now he wants to know what to do with the old recepticles...yes...no?

If your absolutely sure there is and never will be power to these recepticles, pull them out wire and all and replaster. If for some reason you are not 100% sure, wire nut each individual wire, tape the nut, put a cover plate over the outlet and paint to match wall.

Old 03-31-02, 10:18 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
stanky1918, If it's not to much trouble, post back with the year this house was built and number of wires in each box you were working with. This way were all on the same page here.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: