Federal Pacific Service and Breakers

Old 03-30-02, 09:47 PM
gfields
Visiting Guest
Question Federal Pacific Service and Breakers

I have a Federal Pacific electrical service in my home installed in 1976. I have been reading a web page about dangers of this product. Do I have something in my home that is a timed bomb and where can I find out about FPE. thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-02, 05:33 AM
Jxofaltrds
Visiting Guest
Old 03-31-02, 05:46 AM
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
gfields, The only problem i've every encountered with these service panels is water damage to the main and branch circuit circuit breakers, the buss, and neutral/ground bar(s). Water would come in through the hub nut, drip down the inside back of the meter socket(which would damage the neutral lug with corrosion), down the back of the meter, drip down inside the feeder cable and inside the service panel. Here are two websites that may have the answers your looking for.

http:www.inspect-ny.com/fpe/fpepanel.htm
http:www.connecticut-electric.com/breaker.html

Happy Easter!
Fred

Old 03-31-02, 07:12 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I've read that same report about Federal I know for a fact they lost their UL rating years ago cause their product for commercial and industrial was JUNK. The contractor I work for just finished changing out 3 motor control centers made by Federal cause they kept blowing up. Haven't had any experience with there residential but since ALL manufactuers of electrical equipment use the cheapest products for residential I'd bet you have a time bomb there. If you panel is located in an unfinished basement it's an easy job to have an electrician change it.