Dead Electrical Outlet

Old 04-08-02, 04:31 PM
DLDJAXS
Visiting Guest
Angry Dead Electrical Outlet

I have an outside outlet that is in the middle of a ciruit. All swithches/outlets before and after this outlet work fine. When I test the outlet, it does not show power to it. I have tripped all the breakers in the box and still no power to it. Even if it were on a different circuit that the outher surrounding outlets, everything else works everywhere else.

Any suggestions other than calling in an electrician?

Old 04-08-02, 05:59 PM
ontheblink
Visiting Guest
First, check all GFCI outlets which include bathrooms, kitchen, garage and other outside outlets. If they are all reset correctly "test/reset button" the only other option is to take off the plug plate and using a voltage meter, see if the actual wires have power. Do this by taking the voltage meter (which needs to be set on 110 volt AC), and taking the red voltage meter lead and holding it on the black wire then touch black voltage meter lead to the copper ground wire or the white neutral wire. This should read 110 to 115 volts. If there are two black wires, be sure to test each of them. If there is power you have got a bad plug and you just need to replace the plug. Post your findings and I will check back if you need further assistance.

Old 04-09-02, 05:24 PM
DLDJAXS
Visiting Guest
Thanks. I found a GFI switch in the garage that I never knew existed. It was tripped.

Thanks again, you saved me a call to have an electrician come out.

Old 04-09-02, 05:30 PM
ontheblink
Visiting Guest
Happy to help! Glad it worked out!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: