kitchen rewiring

Old 04-30-02, 09:17 AM
Libor
Visiting Guest
kitchen rewiring

I'm completely rewiring my kictchen. Because the walls are stripped down to studs, I want to take advantage of this and also install an exterior receptacle and two exterior lights.

I derive from reading the Code that these exterior devices cannot be on any of the kitchen circuits. Is this true? Isnt' there any way I can feed these devices off of any kind of kitchen circuit, thus reducing wire clutter in my walls?

Old 04-30-02, 10:19 AM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Try clicking on the following link then when you get there look in the left hand column for two parts of that site that pertains to kithen receptacle placement requirement "setting boxes in a kitchen" then after reading that telling where receptacles are required in a kitchen then hit your back button and again look in the left hand column for the second part of that site that tells what is allowed to be on the same circuits as the small appliance branch circuits {aka kithen receptacles} " Installing wiring in a kitchen"

The NEC reference numbers are included as well as some picture examples.

Let us know if this link helped

http://homewiring.tripod.com/homewir...l/newdwel.html

Wg

Old 04-30-02, 10:30 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You phrase "kitchen circuits" is somewhat impecise. The Code stipulates "Small Apliance Circuits" and requires at least 2 such circuits rated at 20 amps for the receptacles in the kitchen and dining room only (no other outlets). EACH of these 2 circuits must supply at least 1 counter-top receptacle and ALL counter-top receptacles require GFI protection.Any circuits in the kitchen that supply liting fixtures,fans,etc can supply the exterior outlets.

Old 04-30-02, 12:05 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Patbaa, I read that there is more than just the kitchen and dining involved. See copied section of NEC 210.51.B below;

(1) Receptacle Outlets Served. In the kitchen, pantry, breakfast room, dining room, or similar area of a dwelling unit, the two or more 20-ampere small-appliance branch circuits required by 210.11(C)(1) shall serve all receptacle outlets covered by 210.52(A) and (C) and receptacle outlets for refrigeration equipment.
Exception No. 1: In addition to the required receptacles specified by 210.52, switched receptacles supplied from a general-purpose branch circuit as defined in 210.70(A)(1), Exception No. 1, shall be permitted.

(2) No Other Outlets. The two or more small-appliance branch circuits specified in 210.52(B)(1) shall have no other outlets.

You are correct in saying that any lighting circuits are allowed to servce outside receptacles if GFI protected but you must not serve an outside receptacle from any receptacle circuit serving receptacles in the kitchen, dining, nook, or pantry. Actually lighting in the kitchen, nook pantry or dining is allowed to be 15 amp rated and treated as general lighting. Just nothing is allowed on kitchen, dining, nook, or pantry receptacle circuits except receptacles in those areas.

If you wanted to get way off base but still meet the NEC requirments concerning small appliance branch circuits you could wire all receptacles in the kitchen, nook, dining, pantry including all receptacles over all counters in those rooms on one 20 amp rated GFI protected small appliance branch circuit and then install a second small appliance branch circuit adding only one receptacle over that counter area also GFI protected being the only receptacle on that circuit and you still met the minimum safety standards of the NEC.

Hope this helps

Wg

Old 04-30-02, 12:48 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wgoodrich: I well understand the scope of the Article but reasoned that "pantry" and "breakfast-room" were not germane to Libor's project. It's important that Libor know that the kitchen counter-top receptacles (and other kitchen receptacles) be served by 2 seperate 20 amp Small Appliance branch-circuits (minimum), he can't connect any exterior outlets to these circuits, and the counter-top receptacles be arranged for GFI protection.

Old 04-30-02, 02:57 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
I agree with what you were saying but in your last reply you named the kitchen and dining then used the word only. That only word caused a concern in my mind thinking he may misconstrue you meaning due to the only word in the sentence.

It sounds like we got the info out anyway.

Wg

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: