Installing european light fixture in US

Old 05-03-02, 12:09 PM
Remsen
Visiting Guest
Installing european light fixture in US

We bought a ceiling light fixture in France a year or so ago and have finally decided to install it. After checking around with the local hardware stores (home depot, etc.) I couldn't get a comprehensive answer as to what I need to do to install the fixture. Since we bought it in France, I have to assume it is designed to work on European electrical circuits. Has anyone ever installed a European fixture and if so, what do I need to do? I'm able to install domestic fixtures fairly easily, so I have some (though not a lot) background in these installations generally.

Thanks.

Old 05-03-02, 01:52 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
This was discussed a little a few days ago. Read the bottom half of this thread (starting with thiggy's post). I don't think you should use it for reasons I give, but Wg thinks it'll be okay. It's usually dangerous to install anything, especially electrical things, in environments other than what they were designed for.

Old 05-06-02, 08:46 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
hope this helps

I used to re-wire old chandeliers from europe. How old is the fixture? Alot of electricians will shy away from installing this fixture as well, because there is probably no U.L. listing on it.

Old 05-07-02, 12:13 PM
Remsen
Visiting Guest
Age of fixture

I think the fixture is about 1.5 years old. At least that's when we bought it and it was represented as being new, though it was from a small shop in Paris and there's no guarantee that anything they told us was truthful. How difficult is it to rewire a chandelier type of fixture? The one we have is a Moroccan style brass and parchment thing, shaped sort of like an inverted bell, with a three bulb fixture in the center.

Thanks for replying.

Old 05-07-02, 03:35 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
I would have a qualified electrician look at the fixtures wiring. Most often the wiring is the same for 200 volts as 120 volts and can be used by changing the bulbs only depending on the wiring design and size found in the fixture. If the wiring is 16 awg or larger then you may not have to rewire the fixture. An electrician should be able to check to see if it is compatible to convert just be changing bulbs from 200 volt to 120 volt bulbs. Then to correct the lack of listing and labeling take the fixture to your AHJ [electrical inspector] for an approval of this product. Your AHJ has the authority to inspect and approve equipment other than the norm in the electrical trade as per 110 of the NEC in special situations not meeting the norm.

Hope this helps

Wg

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: