locations for service panel?

Old 05-12-02, 05:21 PM
K
k.rogan
Visiting Guest
locations for service panel?

I have an attic apartment on my house, that has a 60-amp service with its fuse panel in my basement. I want to update the wiring and put in a 100-amp service, but I want to relocate the panel to the attic. Where can you have panels located and how would you put one in an attic apartment?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-02, 05:51 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Are you trying to have 2 seperate meters for billing the house and apartment seperatly?

Old 05-13-02, 08:24 PM
K
k.rogan
Visiting Guest
yes, I already have two meters. I want to relocated the panel to the attic rather than my basement.

Old 05-13-02, 08:29 PM
W
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
All the main breakers or disconnects serving that structure must be grouped in one place. YOu either have to mount two main disconnects outside installing a subpanel in each apartment or install both main breaker panels in one location available to both tenants as required by the NEC.

Wg

Old 05-14-02, 08:41 AM
F
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
k.rogan, Make it easy on yourself, keep both service panels located in the basement. If there are any sub-panels on the first and second floors bring those circuits down to the appropriate service panels.

Fred

Old 05-14-02, 09:12 PM
K
k.rogan
Visiting Guest
My basement is finished out and it is my livingroom. The tenant in the attic apartment does not have access to their fuse panel, so when I update the wiring, I want to located the tenant's fuse panel in their apartment.

Old 05-14-02, 09:32 PM
W
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Then when you update plan on installing a double gang meter with two main service rated disconnects mounted outside. This will be required to make the main breakers grouped. Then install your sub panel upstairs in the apartment as you desire using a four wire feeder from one main breaker at the meter to feed the sub panel upstars and a second four wire feeder from the second main breaker at the meter to serve the panel in the basement for the main house making that panel in the basement to also be a subpanel. Remember both subpanels will require the neutrals and grounding bars to be isolated.

Hope this helps

Wg

Old 05-15-02, 09:24 PM
K
k.rogan
Visiting Guest
thank you wg, this type of info is what I was looking for.