Unswitched Ceiling Fan

Old 05-14-02, 11:46 AM
M
mikemidhts
Visiting Guest
Unswitched Ceiling Fan

Is it permissible (or even advisable) to have a ceiling fan (no lights, just a fan), unswitched on the circuit? The on/off and speed control would be handled on the unit itself. Just wondering if I had to (or should) provide an actual wall switch for the unit. I have not purchased the unit yet, but the wiring diagrams of the units I am looking at do not mention anything of the sort.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-02, 12:15 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
hope this helps

you dont have to have a switch, but its a good idea. I think for re-sale value of your home if nothing else.

Old 05-14-02, 12:26 PM
M
mikemidhts
Visiting Guest
It's not due to laziness that I ask. It's simply that the room into which I would be installing already has a wall of track lighting and a room full of recessed lights. More lights are just not necessary. The space is in the process of being redone, and will be a bungalow "attic" bedroom, so I would imagine any owner would require a fan up there? How does resale value enter in?

Thanks.

Old 05-14-02, 12:41 PM
M
Say, if someone doesnt want a ceiling fan. And they want to replace it with a small chandelier that their grandmother left them in the will, ( just an example). I know its a stretch, but its something that does happen. Will it affect the sale of your home, probably not. But I always like to leave as many options on the table for whoever will be using this as possible.

Old 05-14-02, 01:31 PM
J
jlbos83
Visiting Guest
Not putting a light on is no big deal, the only question is whether to have a switch for the fan. From a convenience standpoint I'd say yes, but it probably doesn't really make any difference.

Old 05-14-02, 06:43 PM
J
If it would be a lot easier to provide for the switch now (e.g., the drywall isn't up yet), then do so, since the work will be trivial. However, if it will be just as easy later than now, then I'd do it if and when it's needed. There is no code requirement for the switch. You'll go nuts and broke if you prepare for every future possibility.