Grounding Outlet

Old 05-15-02, 07:10 AM
S
spen404
Visiting Guest
Question Grounding Outlet

We recently had our home inspected and the inspector said he found one outlet in the den that is not grounded. How expensive to fix? Is that required for saftey of home?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-02, 07:29 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Just one outlet in the whole house and all other outlets are grounded? It's hard to say without some investigation. Worst case, it might require getting an electrician to run a new grounding wire through the walls from the outlet back to the panel. But more likely it's a two-minute fix by connecting a grounding wire that came disconnected.

The safety considerations depend on what you normally use that outlet for. But it's probably not a serious issue.

Tell us what year your house was built, whether the den was part of the original house, and what that outlet might typically be used for. Is this inspection part of the process of you selling the house? Has the buyer asked you to remedy the situation? Or are you the buyer?

Old 05-15-02, 07:59 AM
S
spen404
Visiting Guest
Our house is 4 years old and all original construction. This is the only outlet in the house that the inspector found. (he only found one other problem which was a cut truss in the attic).
The outlet is on a side wall and below a window...in fact, we've never even used it before. Our buyer wants us to fix it before closing May 30. I just don't want to spend big bucks for the electrician if I do not have to...

Old 05-15-02, 09:10 AM
P
How did the inspector determine this receptacle was not grounded? Did he insert a tester in every receptacle? Is this receptacle switch-controlled? Is it a receptacle without a Ground-slot?-----Remove the receptacle from the outlet box without dis-connecting the wires. The outlet box is either metal or plastic. If it's a metal box test for voltage between each receptacle terminal and the metal suface of the box using a simple lamp socket as a tester.If there's no voltage to Ground(the metal),check for voltage across the receptacle terminals and please report what you have determined-Good Luck!!!

Old 05-15-02, 09:35 AM
S
spen404
Visiting Guest
I am not sure how the inspector found the outlet not to be grounded....and I am not nearly handy enough to check the wires myself...I want to hire someone to ground it, but wanted to avoid high costs of electrician if it's just a wire that came disconnected. I can't imagine them not grounding only one outlet. Thanks for the advice.

Old 05-15-02, 12:26 PM
J
If you have an even slightly handy friend or relative, have them take a look. Make sure you turn off the circuit breaker first. If it is a disconnected wire, the fix is extremely trivial. If your friend or relative finds no grounding wire at all, then call an electrician.

Or, and this is my preference, if it is not written into your signed sales contract that you agreed to fix it, then just tell the buyer you have decided not to fix it -- you are under no obligation to act at all on the buyer's request. Do you think your buyer would back out of the sale based on this extremely trivial condition?

Old 05-15-02, 05:30 PM
J
Jxofaltrds
Visiting Guest
Three posibilities.

1. Ground is not connected to outlet.
2. Ground is not connected at last tie in.
3. Ground is cut.

First two no problem. Third is a safety hazard.

Make the seller make the repair.

Old 05-16-02, 05:58 AM
S
spen404
Visiting Guest
Turns out our agent had a builder friend who took a look at our outlet last night. He pulled the plug out and found the grounding wire connected and told us it's either 1. the inspector's testing device was not working properly or 2. the wire is somehow not conneceted properly to the electric box,....either way, he said it's an easy fix that won't cost us!!!
Thank you all for your advice.

Old 05-16-02, 06:36 AM
J
So please come back and tell us how this no-cost fix is eventually achieved, and who does it.

Old 05-16-02, 06:52 AM
S
spen404
Visiting Guest
this home builder will fix it for us...and I should have been more clear...it won't COST us..meaning, a lot of $$$. He said he can just re-check the outlet and then if it shows up NOT grounded, he will follow the wire to the electric box to determine the problem. B/c he is a friend of our agent, he won't do it at the premium cost. He is insured, bonded, and carries 1 year warranty on his labor.