220v circuit for hottub

Old 05-17-02, 01:04 PM
L
Lance35
Visiting Guest
220v circuit for hottub

I am putting a hottub on my deck. I was told by the dealer that I need a 22v 50 GFCI line for the tub. He said I need a 2 conductor wire. How do I hook this into the panel. I installed the 2 pole bkr. Do I run the black wire to one side of the breaker and the white to the other? Do I hook the ground wire(no insulation one) to the bar that is next to the breakers in the box? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-02, 03:07 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I hope you bought a GFCI breaker. 50-amp 240-volt GFCI breakers are easy to find, since so many of them are needed for exactly the same application as yours.

Yes, the black and white wires attach to the two screws on the breaker (very tightly) and the grounding wire goes to the grounding bar (where all the other grounding wires are). What size wire did you use?

Old 05-17-02, 06:46 PM
L
Lance35
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info. I used 8-2 wire. Thanks again.

Old 05-17-02, 07:16 PM
W
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
YOu will need a minimum of a 6/3wGrnd cable. 8 awg is not big enough. 8 awg is only good for 40 amps and you will need 50 amp rated wire which calls for a 6 awg cable. You will need a black, red, white, and bare or green wire in that cable. You heater will be 220 volts but you motor most likely will be 120 volts requiring an insulated neutral conductor.

Wg

Old 05-18-02, 08:29 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ran into something not long ago when installing our hot tub.

Found out you need a "disconnect"(?) type secondary box visable and accessable within 10 ft of the hot tub to comply with code.

Old 05-19-02, 10:30 AM
W
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Hopro, I agree with your statement to a point. Problem is that some hot tub instructions and design calls for a 50 or 60 amp GFI breaker to serve the whole hot tub. If no breaker exists inside that hot tub then you must install the form of disconnect as you discribe. Then you have two options. YOu can install a normal 220 volt 50 or 60 amp breaker in the main panel then install a 220 volt 50 or 60 amp GFI breaker in the sub panel as you discribe.

You may also install a 50 or 60 amp 220 volt GFI breaker in your main panel and install a non fused disconnect serving the hot tub.

Then you have some hot tubs that come with a 30 amp 220 volt normal breaker for the inline heater and a 20 amp 120 volt GFI breaker for the circulating motor both being installed at the factory that will fuflll the GFI requirment and the disconnect form allowing you to install two branch circuits one being a 20 amp 120 volt branch circuit and a 30 amp 220 volt branch circuit with normal breakers in the main service panel and no further disconnects required using the factory installed breakers as the form of disconnect and as the GFI protection.

Gets confusing at times all depending on the manufacturer's design of their hot tub and their manufacturer's instructions.

Hope this helps

Wg