electrical outlet ?

Old 05-18-02, 07:13 AM
T
tervo
Visiting Guest
electrical outlet ?

Recently my husband had to replace our garbage disposal. He unplugged the old disposal under the sink and tried to plug in a work light. The light didn't work. After much testing we found that no 2 pronged appliance would work in that outlet but the old and new garbage disposals (both 3 prong) work just fine. Is this anything to worry about or was it designed like this?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-02, 08:20 AM
F
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
Tervo. Sounds like you have a wiring problem here so lets check that first. Before we start, make sure the circuit breaker for this circuit is off. Remove the switch and receptacle face plates, remove the switch and receptacle. How many wires are their in the box, what are their colors and which colors are connected to the screws on the switch? This also applies to the receptacle. Post back with this imformation.

Fred

Old 05-18-02, 08:37 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
tervo:

Did you turn the disposal switch on when you tried the light?

Old 05-18-02, 09:36 AM
W
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Mikewu99, sounds so simple to be true but after reading the post I bet you are right. They didn't turn on the switch when the light was plugged in.

Wg

Old 05-18-02, 10:31 AM
T
tervo
Visiting Guest
electrical outlet ?

You are right! I plugged in the light again and turned on the garbage disposal and the light worked fine. Didn't even dawn on us that the switch controlled the outlet. Thanks to everyone!!!