lighting and batteries

Old 05-19-02, 05:42 PM
D
Devonleroux
Visiting Guest
Question lighting and batteries

I was just wondering, is it possible for me to set up a lighting fixture which is connected to some sort of battery (ie. Car battery)?

Thank-you
Devon

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-02, 05:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sure, what type of light fixture.
If it is a flourescent, then use a battery backup ballast, such as one from www.bodine.com
It will back up the fixture for about 1.5 hours depending on the connection type.

For incandescent, you will need an inverter. Check out a recreational vehicle dealership. This are readily available too.

Old 05-20-02, 02:05 PM
W
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Your questions opens up a whole bunch of ifs involved in an answer as a response.

If you are thinking of installing a car battery to back up lighting in you home in case you have a power outage then you can install a cheap light fixture in each room and be sure to mark them 12 volt powered. The install your battery to a 20 amp fuse holder then run a hot and ground wire from that battery with the hot through the 20 amp fuse to each light fixture in your home that is marked 12 volt powered. Be sure to wire them in parallel not in series. Then install normall looking light bulbs that are 12 volt powered normally found in travel trailers. The battery should light your house for several hours during a power outage. Just be sure to keep the low voltage separate from the utility power system.

YOu may use normal light fixtures with 12 volt bulbs connected only to that battery. Just be sure to install a fuse to protect the wires from overcurrent causing them to heat up.

Hope this helps

Wg

Old 05-20-02, 08:47 PM
D
Devonleroux
Visiting Guest
Thanx guys, that helped a lot. WG, I was just wondering. Is there a way I could connect fluorescent lights up to a car battery, and is it possible to connect multiple batteries to a single light fixture so the lights could run longer and/or to run brighter bulbs? Thanx again for all your guys' help

Old 05-21-02, 03:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You can connect flourescent fixture designed for motor home installation to the car battery scenerio, since they are 12V already.
For longer run time connect as many batteries as you want in parrallel (+ to +, and - to -) and the voltage will remain 12V but with more capacity (AmpHours).