No power, Pinched wire?

Old 05-20-02, 07:47 AM
O
Okie
Visiting Guest
Unhappy No power, Pinched wire?

I laid plywood in my attic this weekend to add a floor for extra storage space. I tried to make sure that the flooring didn't lay on top of any wiring in my attic.

This morning I woke up and turned on the light switch but the lights didn't come on. This only happened in 2 rooms in my home. I think that I may have "pinched" one of the wires in my attic with this plywood floor and affected the power going to my lights.

Does anyone know if this could happen and how I can check it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-02, 08:12 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, it could happen. Or you could have hit a wire with a nail. Sorry, but I think you'll need to take up the plywood and look.

Another possibility is that all the vibration you caused shook a connection loose.

Old 05-20-02, 09:25 AM
O
Okie
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Thanks, John. I haven't had the chance to look at it yet, but tonight I plan on checking all of my connections to make sure that nothing came loose.

Old 05-20-02, 07:53 PM
M
hope this helps.

This may sound stupid, but did you check the bulbs? Be sure to check them before taking up all your hard work.

Old 05-21-02, 06:35 AM
O
Okie
Visiting Guest
I checked the bulbs, I also checked the breaker box to make sure that the wires hadn't pulled loose from there. Everything looked ok there.

I am going to use a voltage meter to see if there is a current running to the first light and then go from there.

Thanks for the advice, folks.

It appears that if anything it may have jiggled the connection loose at some point.

Old 05-22-02, 06:39 AM
O
Okie
Visiting Guest
All is well now. I had a good idea of the source of power disconnect. I pulled up a sheet of plywood and saw that I had drilled a screw through my Romex wiring. Well, now I know that I need to pay closer attention when screwing down my floor.

I used my circular saw and sawed out 1-inch slits about an inch apart on the tops of my support beams then used a hammer to knock them out and made a pathway for my wiring to go through. then I laid down my plywood flooring again and made sure not to drill screws into the areas where my wire was running.

The lights now work and my wife is not complaining.

Old 05-22-02, 07:14 AM
J
How did you repair the Romex?

Old 05-22-02, 08:11 AM
O
Okie
Visiting Guest
There wasn't any wiring sticking out or showing so I wrapped the spot where the screw had penetrated with electrical tape.

Old 05-22-02, 09:07 AM
J
Your answer worries me. There still may be a high-resistance path between the conductors that will generate heat. Simply removing the screw and taping up the sheathing does not sound sufficient. Clearly you compromised the insulation on one or more wires internal to the cable.

Also, I wouldn't notch any more of your joist/truss especially since you're adding loads. Put a screw or two on both sides of each notch, close to the notch. Then the plywood will help replace some of the structural integrity you gave up by notching.

Old 05-22-02, 10:51 AM
M
MTgets
Visiting Guest
I agree with John, besides the high resistance path at the point of screw damage you may have taken a chunk out of the wire thereby reducing the circular diameter therefore reducing the current capacity of that wire, you wouldnt notice it now, but if a large load were applied that bat spot wouldnt handle the current and over heat,
overheat = glowing wires = dry plywood on top of wires = fire = bad, dont take that chance, it may be slight to some but it is not worth it, make a proper repair.
If there is not enough slack to cut and spot a box outside of the plywood zone, you may have to cut it on both ends of the zone and spot two boxes, running a new length of NM cable.