from 60-200 update

Old 05-20-02, 09:32 AM
S
Scott C
Visiting Guest
Talking from 60-200 update

Hi. Glad ive found this site, ive had a couple electricians come out and give me estimates to update my service for an old federal pacific box to a 200 amp service . except for the main wireing im sure i can do it myself . especialy with this boards help. I plan on having a licensed electrician pull permit and sign the work off. so first step will be to put a new board and box up . I understand i need 3 feet of space around the box correct? the board size will be 36"long by 24"wide ok? thickness? planning on useing 2x3 strips under board and i have a nail gun so i can nail them into the cement and screw the plywood to them? or am i better off screwing the 2x3's into the foundation ? current location is right in a corner of the basement (left side). and i figure i can place the new box along the right side wall without disturbing present "stuff" untill im ready to wire the new box. planning on getting a square D box . it will only be about 3 feet from the present box . seems like the wires will be long enough to run but if not can i splice them? ok thats enough for now.. Thanks
Scott

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-02, 11:24 AM
R
rhhjr
Visiting Guest
Others will have lots of good info for you, I'll just give you a suggestion that I think is a good idea and often overlooked. Moisture is always a problem in a basement, so try these two ideas: Put one or two coats of poly on the plywood (both sides and the edges) before you mount it. That will stop moisture from the concrete from warping it and also from entering the panel. When you mount the panel, use plastic spacers to create an air gap between the panel and the plywood. This will also help reduce moisture/corrosion in the main panel. (Use 3/4" plywood). PS: most of the existing circuits won't reach the new panel so just use the old panel as a junction box.

Last edited by rhhjr; 05-20-02 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-20-02, 03:53 PM
W
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
The following article may be of some help to you.

http://homewiring.tripod.com/homewir...ter/meter.html

If that article creates more concern or questions then please come back in and we will try to answer what we can to help

Good Luck

Wg