Doorbell voltage

Old 05-20-02, 02:41 PM
S
Sketchy
Visiting Guest
Doorbell voltage

I have installed a new transformer and a new doorbell. The transformer is listed as 110 VAC to 16 VAC. The doorbell is the old fashioned bell type with a clapper and an electromagnet. It is listed as either 3 to 6 VDC or up to 16 VAC. I figured since the numbers on the transformer and the doorbell matched (both 16 VAC), there would be no problem.

The problem is that the doorbell makes a loud buzzing sound in addition to the normal ringing sound when the doorbell switch is held. It almost sounds like the clapper is vibrating much faster than it should be. My voltmeter actually shows 19 VAC coming from the transformer. Could this buzzing be due to the fact that 19 VAC is too much for the bell? Why would the transformer put out 19 volts when the printed voltage on it says 16 volts? Is there anything I can do to fix this aside from buying a new bell or new transformer?

Thanks
-- Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-02, 03:18 PM
F
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
Sketchy, The majority of the mechancial chime doorbells i've work on all had 10 va (volt) transformers. 16va is a little high for that doorbell system. Electronic chime doorbell used 16va to 18va transformers. Anything less the unit will not work.

Hope this helps!

Fred

Old 05-20-02, 03:32 PM
S
Sketchy
Visiting Guest
Sorry, if I wasn't clear, the voltage output of the transformer is 16 volts AC. The wattage output is 10 va (volt-amps). In my original message, I was talking about the voltage, not the va.

Old 05-20-02, 09:10 PM
F
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
Sketchy, My fault, not paying attention to what I'm reading. I don't no where I got mechanical chime doorbell from. Your talking about an old schoolhouse type doorbell. You can minimize the buzzing coil by adjusting the striker closer to the bell head. You"ll have to play around with the adjustment until it's the way you want it. Also make sure the unit is resting flat and secure against the wall and try not to over tighten the mounting screws, that will buckle the the coil plate and throw the coil and striker off center.
The transformer your using is just fine.

Fred

Old 05-20-02, 09:16 PM
F
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
Sketchy, Take a pair of long nose(needle nose) or regular pliers and gently bend the striker toward or away from the bell head to make your adjustment.

Fred

Old 05-21-02, 07:29 AM
S
Sketchy
Visiting Guest
Fred, thanks, I'll give that a try. The bell only cost about $3 so if I screw it up I won't feel too bad.