outlets won't stay in wall!!

Old 05-22-02, 02:41 PM
Y
yinyang
Visiting Guest
Exclamation outlets won't stay in wall!!

I have such thin walls in my home that 4 of my electrical outlets have come loose from the wall, I need to find an easy way to fix this problem . Please help!! How can I secure these back to the wall?? yinyang

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-02, 08:05 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure I know what a "thin wall" is. Are you tallking about the structural part of the wall (i.e., the studs) being thin (i.e., of a dimension less than 3.5"), or are you talking about the finish material (e.g., drywall) being thin? If the latter, please tell us what the finish material is, and whether the finish material itself is still structurally sound. And can you tell whether the electrical boxes are attached to the sides of the studs or to the finish material?

I suspect the answer is going to be "old-work" boxes, but I'd like to make sure I see the picture better. Perhaps you already have old-work boxes, and the screws just need to be tightened so that they grip the drywall better.

Old 05-23-02, 06:55 PM
A
arthropod98
Visiting Guest
might also be possible, depending on what you mean by "loose", that the outlets need to be tightened to the boxes their housed in.

i would 1st pop off the covers and try to get a better idea exactly what you're dealing with.