Where did the power go?

Old 05-23-02, 04:54 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Where did the power go?

A couple of days ago a light fixture in a part of the house that I haven't rewired yet made a flash when I turned on the switch and now the light will not come on. I checked for voltage at the switch and got 0 volts between the white and black wires (switch loop?), and I am getting about 50 volts between the black and ground as well as 50 volts between the white and ground.I,m figuring that there is a junction box somewhere because there is a fan/light,in another room, which is on the same breaker. I am dreading this but I have a feeling I'll be tearing the ceiling down soon to find this problem. Any thoughts????

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-02, 07:28 PM
W
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
I am suspecting one of two choices to your problem.

When you had that flash you may have shorted a wire enough to have burnt a wire in two pieces causing you to lose power at that point. Look and investigate where you saw the flash.

When you had that flash you may have had a mometary short causing your breaker to trip or a fuse to blow that will have to be corrected but only after you know why the flash occurred. Again investigate the area where you saw the flash.

LEt us know what you found

Wg