Phone line re-wiring inside home (condo)

Old 05-24-02, 12:17 PM
poon420
Visiting Guest
Question Phone line re-wiring inside home (condo)

Can someone please help me in describing how to re-wire the phone lines inside a condo? I own a condo and I have my phone company activate a line for me. However, the activated line went to the "upstairs" one instead of where I wanted (downstairs). I have been trying to look through this forum about such threads but does not have much luck.

Should I open the phone jack of the "wrong" line to start with? I do not know where the "NID" is at my condo, I don't see any box around my condo like my friend's (she has a house but mine is a community condo).

Any help would be appreciated. I really do not want to pay 150 extra to have the phone company.

Thanks !

-Amy

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-02, 05:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 30 Posts
Try this link; excellent dissertation on phone wiring:

http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~kurisuto/phone_wiring.html

Old 05-26-02, 09:24 PM
skybird
Visiting Guest
The easiest thing to do is pop the faceplate of the phone jack that is working off. there will be two wires going to it (the back of the faceplate will have the following colors (red,black,green,yellow) check the colors of the wires going to the red and green terminals. Now, go to the other room and check the colors going to the back of that faceplate. If they aren't the same change them so that they match the colors of the working jack. This will cure your problem. The last resident nay have had two different phone numbers. If this doesn't cure your problem write back.

Old 05-27-02, 12:07 AM
poon420
Visiting Guest
problem solved ! thanks :)

THANK YOU VERY MUCH !~~