wire size for 220v single phase heat pump(pthp)?

Old 05-24-02, 01:26 PM
R
RichO
Visiting Guest
wire size for 220v single phase heat pump(pthp)?

I have a PTHP,it's like a window AC.I have the breaker for it(20 amp) but still need to wire it.the unit is in the shed which is seperate from the house(breaker box).I have a couple of options to get the power out to the shed.

1.there is an existing 14/2 line already going to the shed that is currently unused.It only runs from inside the house foundation(crawl space)to just inside the shed.It's in tubing and buried.Can I just run more 14/2 and a couple of junction boxes?

2.there was at one time water service to the shed.The copper pipe(3/4)is still there,along with 1/2 copper for heating oil along with reurn lines for both.All of this copper line is encased and buried.If I need to run 12/2 can I run it through the 3/4 copper with proper little plugs to protect the wire where it enters and exits the copper(having a brain fart,can't remember what they are called right now).
If running 12/2 through the copper is a bad idea what about beside it in the same 4inch casing?

3. Will running 12/2 to a junction with the 14/2 and then back to 12/2 to the unit cause to much of a bottleneck and heat in the 14/2 that is existing?

The heat pump is 220v/single phase,20 amp max breaker,20.1LRA ,15amp min.12.5amp when heating and 5.2 amp when cooling.

Thanks for any replies gentlemen.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-02, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
On the nameplate for the unit, does it indicate the minimum circuit amps? If it is 20A, then 14 awg is not big enough, you need #12.
You cannot use non-electrical pipe as electrical conduit.

Old 05-24-02, 04:28 PM
R
RichO
Visiting Guest
It's 15 minunim circut amps.Can I use the existing 14/2?

I kinda figured running through the copper would be against code.

Old 05-24-02, 05:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You can use 14/2 with a 15A circuit breaker max.