Ground in Panel

Old 05-24-02, 02:53 PM
Mark Whitcomb
Visiting Guest
Ground in Panel

I am installing a new 200 amp panel and pedistal for underground service and I am wondering if I should connect the pedistal neutral bar and the panel neutral bar as well as the panel ground to the Grounding rod outside ? Can this be daisey chained with separate pieces of #4 wire putting (2) in the lug at each point and chaining on to the next point ?

Old 05-25-02, 12:21 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Discribe what you call a pedistal. Are we dealing with a mobile home pedistal remote from the mobile home? You need to provide more detail in your question as to what you are working on.

Sorry

Wg

Old 05-25-02, 01:57 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Here's a method that's acceptable in the Chicagoland area when you have city water.

For a 200 amp service a #4 wire is run unspliced from the street side of the water meter to the neutral bar in the panel. Often times inspectors require it to be connected on both sides of the meter because the phone company's and cable companies use the pipe also as a ground. The neutral bar is bonded (connected) to the enclosure by means of the bonding bar the manufacter provided. Outside a #4 wire is connected to the lug provided inside the meter fitting to a driven ground rod. This is your supplemental Electrode. Since yours is an underground service I'd drive that ground rod before you mount the meter pedistal this way it's sheltered inside the pedistal. Don't forget to use grounding bushings if you have any concentric rings left on your factory KO's

Old 05-25-02, 05:07 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Mike134, are you used to the term pedistal in place of a meter base? I picked up that this probably is a mobile home that requires different wiring than normal dwelling requiering insulated equipment grounding conductor between the pedistal and the mobile home and that pedistal being in sight of and within 35' of that mobile home. The neutral and grounding bars would have to be separated in that mobile home also.

I was questioning for more info suspecting a mobile home due to the word pedistal.

In you area is meterbases called pedistals?

curious

Wg

Old 05-25-02, 05:53 PM
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
Wg. Like mike134 was saying it's the same here in Michigan. looking in the Green Book for the Utility here thats what they call it: Meter Socket, 2" PVC conduit and Service Disconnect equals Motor Home Pedestal. And looking at the diagram, at the service disconnect the neutral and the GEC conductor connect from the lug in the service disconnect panel to the ground rod before it gets to the service panel. The utility sites Articles 550 and 250 for this installation. Off course in might be different in marks area.

Fred

Old 05-26-02, 06:35 AM
M
Wg

It's just the typical rectangluar meter socket that has the meter in it and goes down to the earth. Rather than use a Standard Milbank meter fitting this one is about 6' long

Old 05-26-02, 09:01 AM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Mike I am picking up he is asking about joining the neutral and grounding bars in both the pedistal and the mobile home panel as I read the post. I am concerned that the rule requiring insulated grounding conductor and separated neutral and grounding bar in the panel in the mobile home.

Below is the rule I am thinking of;

550.33 Feeder.
(A) Feeder Conductors. Feeder conductors shall consist of either a listed cord, factory installed in accordance with 550.10(B), or a permanently installed feeder consisting of four, insulated, color-coded conductors that shall be identified by the factory or field marking of the conductors in compliance with 310.12. Equipment grounding conductors shall not be identified by stripping the insulation.

Wg

Old 05-26-02, 04:36 PM
M
WG

from his initial question it sounded like he was installing a plain old 200a underground service to his house.

Mark is this for a house or mobile home?

Thanks

Old 05-28-02, 06:13 AM
Mark Whitcomb
Visiting Guest
Ground in Panel

Thanks for all the replies. It is a regular underground service to a house. The way I have it now, starting at the water meter I have a jumper across the meter and from the street side I am running a #4 wire to the ground lug on the box for the service panel. From the ground lug on the box it runs to the small lug on the neutral bar and from the neutral bar it runs through the wall and down to the grounding electrode. There are two wires in each of these lugs in the service panel because I am daisey chaining from point to point. There is still a small lug on the neutral bar in the pedestal (meter box) and I am wondering if I should connect the grounding electrode there instead of to the neutral bar inn the service panel. Is there anything else that in not correct ?

Thank you.

Mark

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: