Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Replacing Incandescent Fixtures with Fluorescent Fixtures....

Replacing Incandescent Fixtures with Fluorescent Fixtures....

Old 05-24-02, 05:28 PM
P
Preston
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Replacing Incandescent Fixtures with Fluorescent Fixtures....

I want to replace 2 incandescent light fixtures (just a single bulb in each) in my garage with fluorescent fixtures. I want to put up two 48" 2 or 4 bulb fluorescent fixtures.

My question is: How does the light output of a two 40 watt bulb 48" fluorescent fixture compare to a single 75 watt incandescent light? In other words, will two 2 bulb fluorescent light fixtures produce more light than the exsisting two 75 watt incandescent lights, or should I replace the incandescent fixtures with two 4 light flourescent fixtures?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-02, 05:38 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Two 40-watt fluorescent fixtures will produce a lot more light than a 75-watt incandescent. This assumes that the garage is warm enough for the fluorescents to reach full brightness. If you garage gets cold, you will want to consider the cold-weather fluorescent fixtures.

A fluorescent light produces between 50 and 100 lumens per watt. An incandescent light produces about 15 lumens per watt.

As an example, a 15-watt compact fluorescent produces as much light as a 60-watt incandescent. There is a lot written about the color temperature of each kind of light, so depending on what you're trying to see under that light, your experience may vary.

Old 05-25-02, 12:56 PM
P
Preston
Visiting Guest
Lights and Temperature

Thank-you for the response. What I want is to gain more light...as you can imagine the two incandescent bulbs are pretty dim for a garage.

As far as temperature, the coldest my garage ever gets is between 40-50 deg F in the coldest part of the winter...

Are the cold weather fixtures actually different fixtures, or just different bulbs?

Old 05-25-02, 10:29 PM
P
Preston
Visiting Guest
Incandescent vs Fluorescent

I went with the two 4 bulb fixtures, and it looks great....there is lots of light now. I believe that the two 2 bulb fixtures would have been sufficient, but the 4 bulb fixtures really brighten the place up!

Thanks for the responses.