switched outlet and light

Old 05-25-02, 05:45 PM
gdtrfg
Visiting Guest
switched outlet and light

I want to wire a switched outlet and a light in a new chicken shed. The switch I have has 2 screws on one side and 1 on the other. One of the screws is labelled "common" How do I hook up the wires to make it work?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-02, 06:07 PM
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
gdtrfg, What color wires do you have in that outlet box , how many and which outlet box did you bring your power into(hot/neutral).

Fred

Old 05-25-02, 06:54 PM
gdtrfg
Visiting Guest
electrical

I have 3 wires each of black, white, red and bare copper. I wanted to run the feed into the switch and then to the outlet and the light. Maybe I need to re-route them?

Old 05-25-02, 07:58 PM
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
gdtrfg, If this is a handy box your using you might be exceeding the box fill rule with that many wires.

Wiring as follows:

Feeder enters in outlet box where switch/receptacle combo will be. Should be black,white and ground wires. Wires coming from outlet box for light fixture to outlet box for switch/receptacle combo. Should be black, white and ground wires. Total six wires in this box. If the receptacle is going to be always hot, connect the black (hot) wire to the common screw, connect the black (from light) to the brass color screw, cut a piece of white wire six inches and strip covering on both ends 3/4 on an inch. Connect this(pigtail) wire with the other white wires underneath a wirenut. Connect the other end to the silver screw.

If the receptacle is going to be switched with the light, move your black (hot) wire to the brass color screw, move your black (from light) wire to the common screw.

Fred

Old 05-26-02, 08:02 AM
gdtrfg
Visiting Guest
switched outlet

Fred, thanks for your prompt reply. I really appreciate the help.