Outside light and receptacle

Old 05-26-02, 05:39 PM
buytick
Visiting Guest
Outside light and receptacle

I have my rough inspection on Tuesday and I am just because of my 2 porch lights and flood light fixture.
The carpenters put up a 5" x 6" plastic mounting plate (for want of a better word) onto which I'm supposed to mount my fixtures.
It has a hole in the center and I just stuck the wire thru.
I don't think this is right.
Don't I have to put a plastic box behind it to attach the fixture to?
ANd wouldn't the inspector flag me for not having a box?
Should I buy the plastic boxes you use for exisiting sheetrock that has the flages that flip up when you screw them from the front? Anything else I should know?
Your fast reponse would be appreciated!

Old 05-26-02, 11:32 PM
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
Buytick, You"ll need to install boxes for light fixtures. Their should have been three 4" holes cut, boxes installed and wiring ran before anything else was installed( siding, mounting blocks, etc).
If you can get it up in there the old work box should work. The cut-outs on those mounting blocks will have to be removed also. Are the back side of those walls open or closed?

Fred

Old 05-27-02, 02:12 AM
buytick
Visiting Guest
The walls are open still. The mounting blocks are plastic and have only 1 hole thru the center. Can I use the rectangular boxes to mount the fixtures or do they make a round old work box?

Old 05-27-02, 11:52 AM
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
Buytick, Use round boxes. Either 4" nail on box or what I normally use 4" box with adjustable bar hanger, both are plastic boxes. Here is your other problem. That hole in center of the mounting block is to large for a pilot hole for your hole saw (you'll be using a 4-1/8" hole saw for hole in the siding board). Can you remove that mounting block?

Fred

Old 05-27-02, 12:07 PM
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
Buytick, Forgot the receptacle, use the gray nail-on or old work rectangular (plastic) box.

Fred

Old 05-27-02, 01:06 PM
buytick
Visiting Guest
Thanks, that's what I bought. At the Home Depot, I got bad info. The guy said I could just leave the wire coming out of the mounting block and then just mount the fixture on the block?
Would the inspector accept this?
I can't remove the block at this time without screwing up the siding.
I'm thinking, let the inspector come and tell me what's wrong with the whole addition and just fix whatever. Stupid?

Old 05-27-02, 03:39 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Look in the back of that plastic siding block. If there is a box molded into the back of that plastic siding block then it can be used as a mounting box. Some siding blocks are with a box, some siding blocks require a box to be installed in or on them. If this siding block has a 1/2" recessed area the size of a round light box then you may use a pancake box inside that siding block.

Freddy G gave you the most common method of handling this siding block you speak of but the following my give you another option that may work also.

If the siding block is flat you may use a round surface mounted weather proof light box using wood as backing behind the siding block inside the wall to screw that surface mounted weather proff light box for support. If you use the skinny surface mount weather proof light box it may fit the cone of your light fixture looking much like one unit.

Good Luck

Wg

Old 05-27-02, 04:44 PM
buytick
Visiting Guest
Now I'm truly confused. I would like NOT to have to do anything to the siding mounting block, but mount the fixture on it. I can't see behind it, but I put my finger in the 1" hole and feel ridges in the plastic. Should I cut away the wood behind it? Is that necessary?
Will the inspector let it go as is?

Old 05-27-02, 05:48 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Most light siding blocks are not approved as an electrical box. Take a flash light and shine through the hole if you don't see an electrical box built into that plastic siding box then you will need to install an electrical box such as FreddieG suggested or my reply suggested.

Wg

Old 05-27-02, 05:58 PM
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
Buytick, You said the wall was open behind where the mounting block is. If so you should be looking at wood or the back of the mounting block. When stuck your finger in there, did it feel like plastic or wood? Use a flashlight to see inside that hole.

Fred

Old 05-27-02, 06:24 PM
buytick
Visiting Guest
The wall is open. I see the plyscore on the outside of the room with a 3/4" hole with the wire thru it. I can't see behind the mounting plate. I can feel ridges in the back with my finger.
It looks to be a space of 1/2 to 3/4" between the wood and the plastic. Is that enough?

Old 05-27-02, 06:58 PM
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
buytick, Go to this website: www.aifittings.com

Click on Arlington Products

Click on siding mounting blocks

Click on the different types of mounting blocks and see if you see the one you have installed.

Fred

Old 05-28-02, 02:35 AM
buytick
Visiting Guest
Fred
I looked at the Arlington site and couldn't find my exact siding mounting block. Mine is 2 piece. One piece is a trim piece whcih can be removed. The other is nailed in place with the nailing flange under the siding. This piece is flat with a 5" x 6" mounting surface, about 1/2 to 3/4" deep, with one 1" hole in the center.
Does that sound like anything you know?
Thanks
Richard

Old 05-28-02, 06:57 AM
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
Buytick,If the box itself has several 1/2" knock outs at the back of the box then your ok. Take your knife and cut out one of those knock outs. Now take a 1/8" drill bit and drill and drill dead center of that 1/2" hole you have all the way through. This is your guide hole for drilling the on the opposite side. Go to Home Depot and get a package of HITS(yellow plastic connectors for NM cable). When you get them take a ruler and measure the O.D. of one. Whatever it measures out too, use the next size up hole saw or wood bore bit to cut out the wood on the opposite side of the box. Cut-out only the wood, do not go all the way though, stop at the plastic box back. Now pop in that HIT from the back side of the box, insert your NM cable through the HIT and install your light.

Hope this helps!

Fred

Old 05-28-02, 07:54 AM
buytick
Visiting Guest
I PASSED THE INSPECTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE HELP, I COULDN'T HAVE DONE IT WITHOUT YOU!!!!!!

Fred
I'm not sure what you're getting at, but the inspection ok'd the rough in, so he must have thought it was ok. I will just attech the bar thru the plastic into the wood and mount the lights on the bar. That should work, no?
Thanks again
Richard

Old 05-28-02, 09:55 AM
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
Buytick, That should be just fine. Congratulations on passing your inspection.

Fred

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: