How to wire a light sensor to outdoor lights?

Old 05-28-02, 02:31 PM
S
switch
Visiting Guest
How to wire a light sensor to outdoor lights?

I have two lights by the two sides of my garage. I would like to turn them on/off automatically at dawn/dusk. Couldn't find the right size screw on sensors at Home Depot or Lowes. Can I hard wire a sensor ? If so, how ? Please help....

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-02, 03:18 PM
W
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
You can run a power source from your nearest receptacle to a j-box mounted on the outside of your structure. Then run the switch leg through your normal switch running a cable from that normal switch box to the j-box outside also. Buy a photo cell that will mount to that weather proof j-box on the outside of your structure. It will look like a weather proof blank plate with a black red and white white wire connected to a photo cell showing through that plate.

Connect the black or the power source to the black of the photo cell, connect the white of the power source to the white of the photo cell and the white of the wire going to your normal switch box. Connect the black going to the switch box to the red of that photo cell. In the switch box connect the white from the photo cell box to the white going to the two light fixtures. In the switch box connect the black coming from the photo cell to the switch box to the normal switch. Connect the two blacks going to the two light boxes to the second screw of the switch.

This way power is going to the photo cell controlled by the light sensor with the grounded leg going on to the light boxes. Then the red carries the power to the normal switch allowing you to have a choice to override the photo cell and shut off the two lights manually as you desire.

Hope this helps

Wg