loss of power to garbage disposal, sounded similar

Old 05-29-02, 04:07 AM
D
davey001
Visiting Guest
loss of power to garbage disposal, sounded similar

When I read the thread about the vacuum, I thought this was the answer to my problem too, but alas not and wondering if I have missed anything. I replaced the dimmer switch behind the a shared face plate in my kitchen, the other switch being the garbage disposal. Everything seemed to go fine, with the new dimmer working correctly. However, after restoring the face plate, I tried to turn on the garbage disposal but it was dead, no sign of life whatsoever (it had previously been working fine). Since I didn't have to even touch the switch for the disposal I am still left wondering why happened.
I did try and switch off ALL the 15 and 20 amp switches in my fuse box and then switching back on. I found one GFCI socket in the basement (not the kitchen) which I reset too, but no joy.
Any help would be most appreciated !

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-02, 06:06 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It seems these two devices get power from a common source. In the switch box you should see pigtail from the hot to each of the switches. You connected one to your new dimmer, the other goes to the garbage disposal switch. It's likely that the one to the GB switch pulled out of the wire nut, or loosened enough to break contact. Remove the wire nut, check that all wires are bundled properly (some people prefer to twist them together) and replace the wire nut. Use one adequately sized for the number of wires.

Old 05-29-02, 06:40 AM
J
I agree with abNORMal. Although you didn't intentionally touch the switch for the garbage disposal, you nevertheless disturbed the wiring to it somehow.

Just to cover all bases, press the red reset button on the disposal to make sure the thermal protect on the disposal didn't trip. This probably isn't the answer, but it's simple to do.

Old 05-29-02, 10:54 AM
D
davey001
Visiting Guest
Thanks guys ! am I at work at the moment and can't wait to get home to try your suggestions out.

Old 05-29-02, 06:11 PM
D
davey001
Visiting Guest
Amazing how the smallest things can appear to be defeating. Thanks for suggesting the reset switch on the disposal- it did the trick. Thankyou both !

Old 05-29-02, 07:36 PM
M
Good old John!!!!!!!!