3-way Recessed Lighting

Old 05-29-02, 08:05 AM
M
MessyMarvin
Visiting Guest
Question 3-way Recessed Lighting

Ok....I've taken on the job of installing recessed lights into my loft and, of course, now need help with the wiring. I have the fixtures in place already.

Originally, there existed one ceiling light (not recessed) with a 3-way switch. I would like to do the following:

Install 5 recessed lights. I would like 4 to be on one switch and 1 to be on a separate switch. The challenge is that I need both switches to be 3-way. How do I get there with my existing configuration?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-02, 09:00 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You say "a 3-way switch", but I hope you mean a pair of 3-way switches.

Adding three more lights to the existing light will be easy. Simply run a 14/2 cable (12/2 if on a 20-amp breaker) from the existing light to the first new light, and from the first new light to the second new light, and from the second new light to the third. At the existing light, connect the 14/2 to the same two wires that the existing light is connected to -- be careful not to mess up the existing connection, since it could be a large number of different things and if you mess it up, it will be very difficult to reconstruct. At the three new lights, simply connect wires by color.

For the remaining light, you will need to add two new 3-way switches and the new light and run all new cable. There are a very large number of ways to this, depending on where the power comes in. To figure this out, you need to examine the wiring at both switches and the light to see where the power comes in. If you want help with this, post back with as much information as you can.