lights went out --- replace wall switch?

Old 05-30-02, 08:55 AM
C
confused dude
Visiting Guest
Question lights went out --- replace wall switch?

I was vacuuming in the hallway of my house when all of a sudden the lights in the hall bathroom went out. Also, the fan in the hall bathroom, which turns on and off at the same switch, is no longer working. I checked the breaker box and there is no separate circuit for the bathroom. I also tried the reset switch on the two GFCIs in the house and garage. All the other outlets and wall switches work in the house. I'm wondering if I just need to replace the switch in the bathroom, but I don't know if the switch is the problem since the lights were already on at the time they cut out. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-02, 09:09 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I think you have at least one more GFCI that you haven't yet reset.

Old 05-30-02, 09:18 AM
C
confused dude
Visiting Guest
John --- I will try to find another one when I get home from work today. Of the two I found and tried before, one was in the kitchen and the other was in the garage. Any ideas on where another one might be located?

Old 05-30-02, 09:49 AM
J
The garage and kitchen are great places to look for GFCI. Other likely places are all outdoor receptacles, all bathrooms, and the basement. But you really have to look everywhere else too, since nothing can be excluded. The ones most-often overlooked are those not readily accessible, such as ones behind storage, freezers, or other large pieces of furniture. People have even found them in the back of closets or in crawl spaces. Even the attic can't be excluded, but that's a really bad place to put one.

Old 05-30-02, 10:15 AM
C
confused dude
Visiting Guest
Thanks again! I will let you know tomorrow if I can find another one.

Old 05-30-02, 08:32 PM
F
FREDDYG_001
Visiting Guest
confused dude, Like john says they can be just about anywhere. After you have checked all locations for gfci's, here is another place you can check, that receptacle you had the vacuum plugged in. Switch the circuit breaker off for that receptacle, remove it and see if the wired connections to that receptacle are stabend connections(wires inserted in holes on back of receptacle). Check and see if their loose, burnt or broken. If stabends were used then remove them and attache wires to screws(black wires to brass color screw(s) and white wires to silver color screw(s).

Fred

Old 05-30-02, 09:24 PM
M
MTgets
Visiting Guest
I agree with John and Freddy, could be a GFI or a outlet wired by a electrician looking for future service calls by using the stab ends,

I think just as the natural world has a certain cycle of life that takes X amount of years to come around, the same for stab end outlets, it seems that lately more and more are the culprit of problems because since they started using them they worked for X number of years and now all the pushing and pulling and expansion and contraction has wore their life cycle out, happily word is out to "moral" electricians to NOT use them at all and we can phase them out in the future, in the meantime be prepared to always consider them as the source of the problem.
One service guy I know who is in a certain 500 home subdivision where they were all slammed up in month, and all wired by the same contractor, will tell the homeowner to go in the basement to look for something that isnt there while he is upstairs kicking the wall with his heel next to every outlet until the outlet tester lights up!!! finding the bad stabend!!!!
Also just because you didnt find a bathroom circuit, did you check all breakers to make sure 1 isnt tripped?? Mislabled??

Old 05-31-02, 12:29 AM
L
logjam
Visiting Guest
Another vote for stab-ends... I had the exact same scenario last weekend and that's what it turned out to be - loose wiring at the offending outlet, creating a break in the circuit.

Old 05-31-02, 08:33 AM
C
confused dude
Visiting Guest
Thanks for all the replies. I checked the GFCIs in and outside of my house last night and couldn't find anymore. However, about a month ago I had replaced the outlet which the vacuum was plugged into and, not knowing any better, I used the stabends rather than wiring directly to the screw. I will check that out tonight and hopefully that will be it. Could that be the problem even though the outlets in the bathroom continue to work and it is only the lights and fans, which are operated by switches, are not working?

Old 05-31-02, 08:46 AM
The lights in my house are on a different run than the outlets, if this helps you any.

Kay

Old 06-01-02, 10:02 AM
L
logjam
Visiting Guest
Hmm, sorry, I mis-read your post. My lights and outlets were on the same loop, so I lost both. Not quite the same deal.

Old 06-01-02, 12:10 PM
After reading this post and thinking 'hmmmm I wonder what all these breakers in this box go to' (none were labeled and I've found what they go to on an as-need basis) I was going to go through and finish labeling them for future reference and find all the recepticles in the house. I found two in the latest addition to the house..on the walls outside. They are all on the same run, and GFCI's. I also discovered another box outside on the back wall that I've never paid attention to since it was next to the meter. It handles the workshop (which I was looking for in my hunt mentioned above) and also the silly yard light that serves no purpose that I can think of. I turned it off. The neighbors thanked me for that one since it shines in the back side of their house at night. Our's too. I could understand having that thing if we lived in the country, but we are not in a major city yet my we all have smaller yards here. So far I have only found the one outlet in the attic, but that one we installed for the cable booster and alarm system. It is a regular outlet.

Kay

Old 06-02-02, 03:17 PM
C
confused dude
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Hey --- I checked the outlet that my vacuum was plugged into when the lights went out in the bathroom and sure enough one of the stab ends had come out. Problem now solved. Thanks for all the input