how to change regular switch to two way switch

Old 05-30-02, 01:10 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Unhappy how to change regular switch to three way switch

I need to change a regular switch to a 3 way switch. I need a 3 way switch by a new door I isntalled to the garage. The only switch now, to turn on the garage light, is inside the house. I would like to be able to turn on the light the minute I open the new door, and turn it off once I get inside the kitchen. I know the switch in the kitchen would have to be changed also. Please , help!

Last edited by alflui; 05-30-02 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-30-02, 04:00 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Match the 12 or 14/3wGrnd cable size to the conductor sizes in your original switches.

Install a 12 or 14/3wGrnd cable from the original switch box to the new switch box. Then wire nut the black wire of the new cable to the black wire going to the light in that switch box. Connect the other wire on that original switch to the black screw of the new 3 way switch. Connect the red and white wire of the 12 or 14/3 cable to the two other screws of the new three way switch.

In the new switch box connect the black wire to the black screw. Connect the red and white wire to the other two remaining screws on that switch.

You should have it.

Good Luck


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: